1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

UCLA aerospace or EngSci at UofT?

1. Apr 1, 2012 #1
    I got accepted into both programs and I'm thinking about pursuing a career in aerospace engineering in the future. Right now I'm having trouble deciding between these 2 programs. I have done some research online myself and here is what I come up with right now

Academics:
    University of Toronto is the best in Canada and engineering science is one of the hardest engineering programs in North America.
    UCLA is known for arts and humanities but rarely do people mention its engineering. Also I heard a lot about how UCLA has a lesser academic atmosphere(party school?).

LA - big city, lots of opportunities, some aerospace companies around(Lockheed Martin)
    Toronto - less opportunities than LA

Tuition:
    UofT - 10k-20k
    UCLA - 50k-60k....(paying 3-5 times more tuition is not that attractive....but i guess as long as i can get a part-time it should be fine)

Program:
    Engineering science - from what i heard, it's more focused on theories and research. The program itself is a huge challenge(lots drop out after 1st/2nd year, some students complain about the lower than average GPAs, some students were of the opinion that most employers don't even know what EngSci is). But it does rank as one of the best programs in the world.

UCLA Aerospace - Don’t know much about it

Another option for me is to get my undergrad degree in Canada and go to US for masters.
    Can anyone comment on these two programs? Any suggestions are appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 2, 2012 #2
    I would say EngSci, however, it is BRUTAL--be prepared. Also, there is an Aerospace option in EngSci, not to mention the fact that there are many Aerospace companies in Canada--MANY.

4. Apr 3, 2012 #3
    I can vouch for EngSci. I am currently in my third year of EngSci in the physics option. My cousin is also a graduate of the aerospace option, and he is currently pursuing his masters at the University of Toronto Institute for Aerospace Studies:

http://www.utias.utoronto.ca/site4.aspx

EngSci is a tough program but I do not think that it is as tough as a lot of people make it out to be. People say that a lot of people drop out of the program but that is not necessarily true. Most people that leave the program switch out of it into another engineering stream such as Civil or ECE simply because they realized that they do not want to do the general first two years that EngSci offers.

EngSci definitely will challenge you, but that is a good thing.

From what I've heard, the aerospace option is relatively difficult and a lot of work. If you know you want to go into aerospace then I definitely recommend it.

I can't comment on UCLA as I have no idea. I can say however, that unless you are strapped with cash, the tuition difference is a pretty big difference. In my opinion, if you are paying 3x more, you should get 3x the education.

Lastly, I know a few people who went into EngSci completely set on doing the aerospace option but ended up switching their goals to another stream. One friend of mine actually dropped into the ECE stream as he loved the ECE courses so much. That is one nice thing about EngSci, is that if you hate it, you can drop into any of the other engineering streams no problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook