UCLA group discovers massive prime number

• Thread starter Math Is Hard
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Group Prime
In summary: I think I see where this is going.Let's face, it with 13 million figures they could tell us anything. It's not as if we're going to go away and check it.In summary, the mathematicians at UCLA have discovered a 13-million-digit prime number. This makes them eligible for a $100,000 prize.
tribdog said:
isn't the obvious enough? not all numbers can be divided by 7 so it gets put into a rather selective category doesn't it? I don't know the exact numbers but something like only 1 in 20 numbers can be divided by 7.

Isn’t every seventh number (starting from seven) divisible by seven? And if you take the product of all the prime numbers, up to and including the so-called “largest prime” and add one to that, this new number is either a prime or it contains a prime larger than the previous largest. The number of primes is therefore infinite.

Physics news on Phys.org
schroder said:
Isn’t every seventh number (starting from seven) divisible by seven? And if you take the product of all the prime numbers, up to and including the so-called “largest prime” and add one to that, this new number is either a prime or it contains a prime larger than the previous largest. The number of primes is therefore infinite.

way to steal vanesch's joke. i award you -7 points.

vanesch said:
Bwahahaha ! :rofl: I'd think that about 1 number in 7 can be divided by 7
Looks like some folk here haven't done their 7 * table yet.

Howers said:
way to steal vanesch's joke. i award you -7 points.

vanesch's joke? VANESCH'S JOKE?

To be honest, I came here only for the post count.

schroder said:
So Euclid says anyway... but then what does he know :biggrin:

Howers said:

Try harder, posts in GD don't count.

Howers said:

If posts in here counted I'd have several thousand. If they'd let me out of here I'd thousands too.

Borek said:
About three times that, as long as we are in the realm of not exact numbers.
Is this the joke? If so, Borek should get the credit. I thought it was a good one.

vanesch said:
This is an amazing discovery. Until now, I thought prime numbers were massless :shy:

edit: oops, ivan made this joke already...

That's okay, some jokes are worth telling twice. :biggrin:

I thought only Catholic numbers have mass.

Why don't they use the computer power for something useful? Calculating massive prime numbers was used to test the computational power of computers, I think they have gone far enough.

Monique, ever hear of Folding@Home?

There are plenty similar projects, don't worry, heh.

jimmysnyder said:
Is this the joke? If so, Borek should get the credit. I thought it was a good one.

Haha, yeah. I totally missed that. That non-exact numbers thing threw me off.

Borek said:
Try harder, posts in GD don't count.
Argh. You've out witted us all.

Maybe I should return to Academic Guidance and tell people what book they need to study linear algebra. That should put me in the 1000s by next week!

Last edited:
jimmysnyder said:

Joke? I was deadly serious.

its a joke when Borek says it, but no one had a problem believing I thought 1 in 20 numbers is divisible by 7? I don't know if I should be offended or if this is just another case of "don't feed the tribdog"

tribdog said:
its a joke when Borek says it, but no one had a problem believing I thought 1 in 20 numbers is divisible by 7? I don't know if I should be offended or if this is just another case of "don't feed the tribdog"
Sorry Tribdog, if you had said 2 in 20 numbers were divisible by 7 it would have looked like a joke :smile:

And this post means we've hit the next prime number in this thread!

Last edited by a moderator:
5 is a very pretty prime =)

Art said:
Sorry Tribdog, if you had said 2 in 20 numbers were divisible by 7 it would have looked like a joke :smile:

yes, post number 51 is a great prime. almost as good as 15,18,21 and 24.

Art said:

Whaaaa?!? 51 is not prime! But 53...? :biggrin:

DOH! tribdog, you beat me to post # 53!

Dr Pepper has 23 flavors.
Baskin Robbins has 31 flavors.
Boeing has a 757

I wonder what the biggest prime number on a product is?

Prices like $4999 don't count.

I don't have the answer. It's merely the LowlyPion Conjecture.

Power Point Viewer 2003.

Good ones. All I could think of was Formula 409.

Monique said:
Why don't they use the computer power for something useful?

LowlyPion said:
Dr Pepper has 23 flavors.
Baskin Robbins has 31 flavors.
Boeing has a 757

I wonder what the biggest prime number on a product is?

Prices like $4999 don't count.

I don't have the answer. It's merely the LowlyPion Conjecture.
You see Monique, there is a use for prime numbers. Without cutting edge prime numbers, where would we get prime time TV shows, USDA prime beef, prime real estate locations, and Prime Ministers not to mention exotic composite materials. Look at what happened with subprime loans. Now the gov't is looking to prime the pumps so these numbers will come in very handy. But most importantly, we have to keep one step ahead of the terrorists. What if they had a bigger prime number than we do?

jimmysnyder said:
But most importantly, we have to keep one step ahead of the terrorists. What if they had a bigger prime number than we do?

:rofl: I almost ruined my keyboard !

Math Is Hard said:
Good ones. All I could think of was Formula 409.

Peugeot 607, but it is smaller than Boeing 757.

Windows Server 2003

<h2>1. What is a prime number?</h2><p>A prime number is a positive integer that can only be divided by 1 and itself. In other words, it has no other factors besides 1 and itself.</p><h2>2. How did the UCLA group discover this massive prime number?</h2><p>The UCLA group used a computer program called the Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search (GIMPS) to search for prime numbers. This program utilizes the processing power of thousands of volunteers' computers to perform complex calculations and identify prime numbers.</p><h2>3. How big is this prime number?</h2><p>The prime number discovered by the UCLA group has 24,862,048 digits, making it one of the largest known prime numbers. It is also the largest known prime number of the form 2<sup>n</sup>-1, where n is a positive integer.</p><h2>4. Why is the discovery of this prime number significant?</h2><p>Prime numbers have been a subject of fascination for mathematicians for centuries. The discovery of this massive prime number not only adds to our understanding of the distribution of prime numbers, but it also has practical applications in cryptography and computer security.</p><h2>5. Are there any other potential prime numbers that are even larger?</h2><p>Yes, there are likely many more prime numbers that are even larger than the one discovered by the UCLA group. As technology and computing power continue to advance, it is possible that even larger prime numbers will be discovered in the future.</p>

1. What is a prime number?

A prime number is a positive integer that can only be divided by 1 and itself. In other words, it has no other factors besides 1 and itself.

2. How did the UCLA group discover this massive prime number?

The UCLA group used a computer program called the Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search (GIMPS) to search for prime numbers. This program utilizes the processing power of thousands of volunteers' computers to perform complex calculations and identify prime numbers.

3. How big is this prime number?

The prime number discovered by the UCLA group has 24,862,048 digits, making it one of the largest known prime numbers. It is also the largest known prime number of the form 2n-1, where n is a positive integer.

4. Why is the discovery of this prime number significant?

Prime numbers have been a subject of fascination for mathematicians for centuries. The discovery of this massive prime number not only adds to our understanding of the distribution of prime numbers, but it also has practical applications in cryptography and computer security.

5. Are there any other potential prime numbers that are even larger?

Yes, there are likely many more prime numbers that are even larger than the one discovered by the UCLA group. As technology and computing power continue to advance, it is possible that even larger prime numbers will be discovered in the future.