Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

UCLA Incident: Was the Police Response Appropriate?

1. The police overreacted

37.2%
  2. The police responded appropriately

30.2%
  3. Not enough evidence either way

32.6%
  1. Nov 17, 2006 #1
    I saw that folks were guessing what percentage of people support the police in the UCLA tasing incident. So I figure, why don't we find out the actual numbers?

Last edited: Nov 17, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2006 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

First, I'd have to know what their procedures are before I could say if they followed procedure and acted appropriately.

If you're asking if I think the officers used excess force, no.

4. Nov 17, 2006 #3
    I said not enough evidence as the videos often don't clearly show the guy or what's happening to him, and the "he's handcuffed" picture in the other thread is waaay too blurry to make a conclusion. I enlarged it with photoshop and played around with the colours hoping to get a better picture of it but to no avail. I would say that he deserved what he got, but perhaps with a better video my oppinion would be more concrete.

5. Nov 17, 2006 #4

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Videos don't show enough evidence.

6. Nov 17, 2006 #5

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Certainly not enough evidence, especially in the beginning of the confrontation. If the student's initial behavior was extremely inappropriate, I'd be more sympathetic to the officers. Likewise, if the student really was being passive prior to the use of force, I'd say they were out of line. Clearly, both parties were angry during the encounter, the question is which one was more justified.

7. Nov 17, 2006 #6

Astronuc

I can't tell what happened, since the video seems to have started after the altercation, so the precipitating event is not evident. All we have is hearsay, being removed from direct observation.

It would appear that the police did not handle it well. The authorities, university and legal, will have to determine whether or not the campus security handled it correctly.

I think the student handled it poorly if he tried to challenge the campus security when asked to leave. Evo is correct (in the other thread) - all the young man had to do was leave quietly and immediately when challenged. He should be familiar with the security policy at the university. As it is oft said, ignorance of the law is no excuse.

Very sad all around. :frown:

8. Nov 17, 2006 #7
    They should have maced him as well.

9. Nov 17, 2006 #8
    To me, it just sounded like the guy was being a total drama queen. He probably has faced a ton of discrimination as a Muslim in the past couple of years, and this incident was the tipping point for him.

That being said, there's no reason to stun the guy if all he's doing is being loud and obnoxious, and if you have him outnumbered. If I was in a situation where several people were ganging up on me, you better believe I'd try to get help from anyone in the area by being as loud and obnoxious as possible.

I do not care how nasty the guy was being to the cops, you just slap him in handcuffs and put him in the back of your squad car until he calms down. There's no reason to go to the next level.

10. Nov 17, 2006 #9
    Not enough evidence for me. I do think they could've done it way better, but unless I know their standards I can't speculate on whether it was appropriate or not.

11. Nov 17, 2006 #10

Astronuc

In a library? :surprised

Isn't that a capital offense!? :biggrin:

12. Nov 17, 2006 #11

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That is the next level.

13. Nov 17, 2006 #12
    Apparently even Taser International warns against using the Drive Stun multiple times.

14. Nov 18, 2006 #13

russ_watters

Good thing that isn't what they used...

15. Nov 18, 2006 #14
    I voted over reacted.

Because the guy does not comply does not mean you can automatically start stun guning him. There were plenty of cops around to pick him up by the arms and legs and throw him in the back of the squad car. (He was in handcuffs) They could have cuffed his hands and legs if necessary.

Saying, "get up or i'll stun you" is no better than saying "get up or ill shoot you."

It does not work like that.

Let's face it, that was use of force by the police because he was not complying. But, he was clearly NOT a threat to the police to warrant that kind of force despite his noncompliance.

Although, I would tazer him for being a dumbass. Ba-ha-ha-ha..but then again, I'm not an officer of the law.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2006
  16. Nov 18, 2006 #15
    http://dailybruin.com/news/articles.asp?id=38960
    The officers used the "drive stun" setting in the Taser, which delivers a shock to a specific part of the body with the front of the Taser, Young said.

17. Nov 18, 2006 #16

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How so? The former is a threat of temporary discomfort, and the latter is a threat of serious bodily injury.

And you think this is less force than a stun?

18. Nov 18, 2006 #17
    I dont care which is worse, they are both going over the line in this situation.

Yes, I do. Picking him up and throwing him in the car is obviously less force. There were more than enough cops to restrain him and carry him away.

The first time he got stunned, he had it comming when he was fighting the cops in the handcuffs. But afterwards, the cops were just being as$holes and making threats with the consequency of force.

Get 5 of those cops standing around to grab his head, arms, legs, and body and carry him out to the cop car. Is that so hard?.........

Last edited: Nov 18, 2006
  19. Nov 18, 2006 #18

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Why?

If that was so obvious, then why would I ask?

Stop violating the language guidelines, or you'll get tazed. :tongue2: But seriously, force was required here, so you can't condemn anyone merely because force was used.

And there's no risk of hurting or injuring the guy? (Or the guy hurting the cop?)

20. Nov 18, 2006 #19
    How is a guy getting carried away by 5 cops by the arms,legs and head, IN HANDCUFFS going to be a huge risk?

Stop it, that tickles.

I donno, you asked. :tongue: Seems obvious to me, at least.....

Holding a guy down and saying stand up or Im going to stun you, is sadistic and naive.

21. Nov 18, 2006 #20

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Huh? What does that have to do with this scenario? Nobody was being held down.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?