Is Berkeley's Prestige in Pure Math Well-Earned Compared to UCLA?

In summary: Visit both campuses, talk to people, and try to make a personal decision.In summary, there is a slight edge in prestige for Berkeley, but both schools offer high-quality instruction and research opportunities in the pure math department. There may be a difference in the level of competitiveness among peers, but it is not significant. A degree from Berkeley may slightly improve grad school admissions, but it is not a major factor. Location should also be considered when making a decision. Both schools are highly regarded for math, so personal preference and fit should be the main criteria for choosing a university.
SpaceTag
I know Berkeley has a slight edge in the "prestige" factor, but is this edge well-earned? Is there a significant difference in the quality of instruction and opportunities for research at these two institutions, particularly in the pure math department? Is there much difference in the level/ability of your peers? Would a degree from Berkeley (as opposed to UCLA) help a lot in grad school admissions? I ask this because UCLA would be more convenient for me location-wise, but Berkeley is worth the loss of this convenience if its academics are better. This is for undergraduate, btw. Thanks. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
http://www.ucla.edu/about/faculty/tao.html

alex caps said:

Are you trying to say UCLA would be better to go to because Tao is there or what? What exactly does posting that link mean?

It doesn't mean anything, I just thought it would be fun for you to read, won't help you make a decision though...

I would also like to know what you guys think about UCLA vs UCB for grad school. More specifically if I want to study complex differential geometry or several complex variables.
(I'm kind of thinking maybe mathwonk can answer this, but maybe he can't and someone else can)

SpaceTag said:
I know Berkeley has a slight edge in the "prestige" factor, but is this edge well-earned? Is there a significant difference in the quality of instruction and opportunities for research at these two institutions, particularly in the pure math department? Is there much difference in the level/ability of your peers? Would a degree from Berkeley (as opposed to UCLA) help a lot in grad school admissions? I ask this because UCLA would be more convenient for me location-wise, but Berkeley is worth the loss of this convenience if its academics are better. This is for undergraduate, btw. Thanks. :smile:

I'm in a similar situation as you, as I'm likely to transfer to either UCI or UCLA. From what I've heard, the undergrad school you go to will have little effect for your grad school admissions. But if you plan on getting a job after you get your bachelor's, then getting it from Berkeley will be better. Berkeley is more prestigious for its grad programs rather than its undergrad programs. The peers at Berkeley might be a tad more competitive than at UCLA since I think they have tougher freshmen admission criteria.

I am in the exact same situation... I am a transfer student going in as a junior and I have the choice between UCLA and Berkeley. From what I have seen, Berkeley is more prestigious, but UCLA is closer to home (making it a more convenient option). I do not care about my undergraduate alma mater unless it would increase my chances of making it into a quality graduate program.

Tips would be appreciated, especially from people who are at one of these schools.

Both UCLA and UCB are at the very top of schools for, preparation in math. f you get into either one you are incredibly fortunate and can do extremely well.

What if one was accepted to both? Choosing a university is a serious task and I want to make the best decision. What criteria would you judge by as best to prepare for graduate school in pure math?

Ended up going with Berkeley. Thanks for your input!

Well done. If your a top student I will see you around the campus...

I have a feeling you'll see me around.

alex caps said:

Heh, that was exactly my first thought!

For others confronting a similar choice: relax, you can obtain an excellent education at both these schools.

Last edited:

Related to Is Berkeley's Prestige in Pure Math Well-Earned Compared to UCLA?

1. What are the main differences between UCLA and UCB for pure math?

UCLA and UCB are both top universities for pure math, but there are a few key differences. UCLA has a larger math department and offers a wider range of courses, while UCB has a smaller math department but is known for its strong emphasis on research. Additionally, UCLA has a stronger focus on applied math while UCB is more theoretical.

2. Which university has a better reputation in the field of pure math?

Both UCLA and UCB have excellent reputations in the field of pure math. UCLA is often ranked higher in overall university rankings, but UCB is consistently ranked as one of the top math departments in the country.

3. What are the research opportunities like at UCLA and UCB for pure math?

Both UCLA and UCB have strong research opportunities for pure math students. UCLA has a larger department and offers more research opportunities, while UCB's smaller department allows for more personalized attention from professors.

4. Which university has a better location for studying pure math?

This is subjective and depends on personal preference. UCLA is located in Los Angeles, which offers a vibrant and diverse city life, while UCB is located in the San Francisco Bay Area, which is known for its strong tech and research industries.

5. Can I switch between UCLA and UCB as a pure math major?

It is possible to transfer between UCLA and UCB as a pure math major, but it is not a guarantee. Both universities have different transfer requirements and it is important to research and plan ahead if this is something you are considering.