UCLA Scholars Program: Benefits & Disadvantages for PhD

• Thread starter thrill3rnit3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Program
In summary, UCLA offers a program called Scholar's Program, which allows students to complete both a Bachelor's and Master's degree in 5 years. The program is rigorous and intended to prepare students for graduate school. The Masters Degree is granted upon completion of graduate level coursework and passing the Basic Qualifying Exam. There are advantages such as a qualifying exam and the opportunity to take graduate courses, but there are also concerns about missing out on other opportunities and not being able to develop research skills. There is also a possibility of being ineligible for certain fellowships as a result of completing the program.
thrill3rnit3
Gold Member
UCLA has this thing called Scholar's Program, in which one can obtain both his/her bachelor's and master's degree in 5 years.

From UCLA's Math Department Website

http://www.math.ucla.edu/ugrad/scholpr.shtml

The Mathematics Departmental Scholar program is the Department’s most rigorous program and is intended to prepare students for graduate school.

In this program students have the opportunity to complete both a Bachelors (BS) and Masters (MA) in a finite amount of time, ideally four years. The granting of the Masters Degree is contingent upon the completion of graduate level coursework and passing of the Basic Qualifying Exam.

It is recommended that students who attempt this program follow a timeline as such:

First year at UCLA: Complete or have credit from another institution/standardized test (AP or IB Exams) all lower-division Calculus-based courses (Math 31A, 31B, 32A, 32B, 33A, 33B). If possible take 115AH in spring.

Second year at UCLA: Complete Math 115AH (Honors Linear Algebra), Math 115B (Linear Algebra), Math 131AH (Honors Analysis) and 131BH (Honors Analysis). Completion of these courses will provide a strong foundation for the Basic Qualifying Exam, which is a crucial component of completing the Scholars program. Students are encouraged to apply to
the Departmental Scholar program upon completion of 115B and 131BH.

Third Year at UCLA: Pass the Basic Qualifying Exam. Complete other major courses, these particular courses will depend on whether the student is pure or applied. Students can also begin their graduate courses as well.

Fourth year at UCLA: Complete remaining graduate level courses for the Masters Degree.

Successful completion of this course plan, graduate level courses (minimum 8/maximum 11 for the Masters) and the Basic Qualifying Exam will result in the granting of the BS/MA concurrently.

If you have further questions, please contact the Undergraduate Mathematics Student Services Office ugrad@math.ucla.edu.

My question, I guess, would be should I do this thing if I decide to go to UCLA?
What are the advantages and disadvantages to this?
If I continue on to my doctoral degree, would other institutions see this as a plus or a minus?

My primary main concern is that other schools might think that I rushed into getting my degree, therefore not being able to take other classes that would help me greatly.

Physics news on Phys.org
It would be a very small "plus" for admissions to graduate school...

It would also, probably make you ineligible for many of the fellowships that support (US CITIZENS ONLY) graduate students early on in their studies...

I did a similar program and have had some troubles since then since I'm no longer eligible to apply for many fellowships, despite the fact that my 4 yr BS-MS program was in no way equivalent to a "real graduate program"...

I'm a freshman at UCLA majoring in Mathematics and have been thinking about doing the Scholars Program as well. Can anyone else perhaps offer their opinions on the matter? :D

Thanks in advance,
Alex.

Pros:
- I like the idea of a qualifying exam in a major. I think this would really help advanced students to solidify the material.
- The program allows students to take graduate level courses if they are so inclined.

Cons:
- I don't see the word "thesis" anywhere - hence you have a course-based master's degree, which doesn't give you the opportunity to develop the research skills that graduate work is supposed to foster.
- Jumping to graduate level course-work in such a short time will likely require a LOT of work. This might mean that you miss out on other opportunities through your education such as involvement with social clubs, volunteer work, part-time jobs, sports, etc. And it's important to remember that the skills you pick up and contacts you make in extra-cirricular work can have a significant role in your future career decisions.

Choppy said:
Pros:
- I like the idea of a qualifying exam in a major. I think this would really help advanced students to solidify the material.
- The program allows students to take graduate level courses if they are so inclined.

Cons:
- I don't see the word "thesis" anywhere - hence you have a course-based master's degree, which doesn't give you the opportunity to develop the research skills that graduate work is supposed to foster.
- Jumping to graduate level course-work in such a short time will likely require a LOT of work. This might mean that you miss out on other opportunities through your education such as involvement with social clubs, volunteer work, part-time jobs, sports, etc. And it's important to remember that the skills you pick up and contacts you make in extra-cirricular work can have a significant role in your future career decisions.

is what cincinnatus said a couple of posts before valid??

It would also, probably make you ineligible for many of the fellowships that support (US CITIZENS ONLY) graduate students early on in their studies...

I did a similar program and have had some troubles since then since I'm no longer eligible to apply for many fellowships, despite the fact that my 4 yr BS-MS program was in no way equivalent to a "real graduate program"...

Related to UCLA Scholars Program: Benefits & Disadvantages for PhD

1. What are the benefits of participating in the UCLA Scholars Program for a PhD?

The UCLA Scholars Program provides numerous benefits for PhD students, including access to a diverse and highly reputable academic community, opportunities for interdisciplinary collaboration, and access to top-notch resources and facilities. Additionally, participation in the program may increase visibility and recognition within the academic community, and can provide valuable networking opportunities.

2. Are there any disadvantages to participating in the UCLA Scholars Program for a PhD?

While the benefits of the UCLA Scholars Program are significant, there may be some potential drawbacks to consider. These may include increased time commitments, potential conflicts with other academic obligations, and additional pressure to maintain high levels of academic performance. Additionally, the competitive nature of the program may result in increased stress and pressure for participants.

3. How does the UCLA Scholars Program differ from other PhD programs?

The UCLA Scholars Program is unique in that it provides opportunities for interdisciplinary research and collaboration, allowing students to work with faculty and peers from a wide range of academic disciplines. This can lead to a more well-rounded education and the development of innovative approaches to research problems. Additionally, the program may offer access to specialized resources and funding opportunities not available in traditional PhD programs.

4. What types of PhD programs are eligible for the UCLA Scholars Program?

The UCLA Scholars Program is open to students pursuing a PhD in any academic field offered at UCLA. This includes fields such as engineering, social sciences, natural sciences, humanities, and more. However, admission to the program is highly competitive, and applicants must demonstrate a strong academic record and research potential in order to be considered.

5. How can participation in the UCLA Scholars Program benefit my career after completing my PhD?

Participation in the UCLA Scholars Program can have numerous long-term benefits for a PhD graduate. These may include increased recognition and prestige within the academic community, enhanced job prospects and salary potential, and opportunities for continued interdisciplinary collaboration and research. Additionally, the program may provide a strong foundation for future academic pursuits, such as postdoctoral studies or faculty positions at other universities.