1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ugrad research assistant position

1. Apr 8, 2006 #1
    I currently go to an engineering university double majoring in EE and physics. I hope to attend graduate school and pursue a career in academia and research. My university normally isn't big on research, but the ME and civil engineering programs do a bit of research (carbon fiber reinforcement in bridges, and automotive stuff). The university has just recieved a pretty large fuel cell research grant and opened a new fuel cell research lab. The research professor running the lab is looking for an ME research assistant and an EE research assistant and I am interested (I'm not sure if I want to go into fuel cell research long term though....I am actually most interested in semiconductor and solid state electronics). However, the minimum GPA requirement is a 3.75 and I have a 3.34. From your experience, do you think this will be a major problem? I am going to go to the prof heading the program on Monday about this, but I would like your opinion.

I also have not had any experience with fuel cells before (don't know anything about them yet), but I do have a chem minor and I am a dual major in EE and physics. I also hadn't attended any of the alternative energy group meetings, and I am sure there are EEs that have that have higher GPAs.

However, I really would really like this position since it at least gets me some research experience under my belt. I am going to definitely get into a research team at another university for an REU/SURF next summer (hopefully in solid state electronics or physics), but this summer I want to do this.

I just started an internship with Takata Corp. (safety systems for the automotive industry), but I don't think it provides the kind of experience I need to meet my research goals, and grad schools would rather see the research assistantship.

What do you think?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2006 #2

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If your GPA is that much lower, than I say you most likely won't get it.

I'd try anyways. You should always try.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?