Uh oh Proposed Constitutional Amendment

• News
  • Thread starter TheStatutoryApe
  • Start date
In summary: You mean it's not still 2005? :eek: :rofl: Nope, I missed that. It's twice in two days I've seen something and thought it was recent...:(
TheStatutoryApe
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c109:H.J.RES.24.IH: [Broken]
IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

February 17, 2005
Mr. HOYER (for himself, Mr. BERMAN, Mr. SENSENBRENNER, Mr. SABO, and Mr. PALLONE) introduced the following joint resolution; which was referred to the Committee on the Judiciary

JOINT RESOLUTION

Proposing an amendment to the Constitution of the United States to repeal the 22nd amendment to the Constitution.

Resolved by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled (two-thirds of each House concurring therein), That the following article is proposed as an amendment to the Constitution of the United States, which shall be valid to all intents and purposes as part of the Constitution when ratified by the legislatures of three-fourths of the several States within seven years after the date of its submission for ratification:

`Article --

`The twenty-second article of amendment to the Constitution of the United States is repealed.'.

I seriously doubt it's going to get through though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Has this already been gone over or does no one remember what the 22nd amendment is?

Short-sighted political stunt.

The democrats are just doing their usual screwing around trying to grab attention to themselves instead of doing their jobs.

Pengwuino said:
The democrats are just doing their usual screwing around trying to grab attention to themselves instead of doing their jobs.
What about Sensenbrenner? He's Republican. But, yeah, what the ... are they doing? The rest are all Democrats, so it appears to be a stunt of some sort (don't know any reason they'd seriously do this, but, they have, haven't they), and it's not even April 1.

Yah a single republican :rolleyes:

I wonder if anyones going to freak out and think this is Bush taking over the US :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Moonbear said:
What about Sensenbrenner? He's Republican. But, yeah, what the ... are they doing? The rest are all Democrats, so it appears to be a stunt of some sort (don't know any reason they'd seriously do this, but, they have, haven't they), and it's not even April 1.
Alot of people talking about this seem to be hoping for a rerun of Clinton. There was talk of such an amendment while he was in office too.

TheStatutoryApe said:
Alot of people talking about this seem to be hoping for a rerun of Clinton. There was talk of such an amendment while he was in office too.
That's not much more reassuring to me. :uhh:

Pengwuino said:
Yah a single republican :rolleyes:
Yeah, but it means you can't entirely blame it in the Democrats.

Moonbear said:
Yeah, but it means you can't entirely blame it in the Democrats.

Well its normally a-ok to do the opposite around here :rolleyes:

Pengwuino said:
Well its normally a-ok to do the opposite around here :rolleyes:

That kind of junk is always being thrown about...Democrats catch crap for being against Bush (Because, as well all know, this is America...we don't have the right to hold our own opinions here.:rolleyes: ) and Republicans catch crap for lieing...when both sides lie through their teeth.:rofl:

AngelShare said:
That kind of junk is always being thrown about...Democrats catch crap for being against Bush (Because, as well all know, this is America...we don't have the right to hold our own opinions here.:rolleyes: ) and Republicans catch crap for lieing...when both sides lie through their teeth.:rofl:

hehe you haven't been around here much have you

Pengwuino said:
hehe you haven't been around here much have you

No, I have not. However, I was not talking about this site when I made that post. I like this site but I would never even think of using it in a political discussion, that's a rather weak way to make your point.:wink: "There are these Republicans on a site I frequent that slam Democrats every time they post, I can't stand them and their damn party!":rolleyes:

I've heard enough to know that Republicans like to slam Democrats, first and foremost, for disliking Bush. That's always been something that confuses me, really...because, like I tried to point out in my other post, this is America. To assume everyone will agree with you is asinine. However, instead of being amongst those who like to slam the opposing party simply because they're the opposing part, I'd much rather spend my time agreeing with whoever makes the most sense regardless of what they are. That allows me to see that both sides lie and that both sides are crooked.

Now, whether this site is populated with more Democrats than Republicans or vice versa, I don't base my posts off of this site's overall opinion on political matters.:wink:

You all did notice the date, right?
February 17, 2005

Ivan Seeking: Clearly not.:rofl:

Ivan Seeking said:
February 17, 2005
You mean it's not still 2005? :eek: :rofl: Nope, I missed that. It's twice in two days I've seen something and thought it was recent when it really was a year ago! It just isn't sticking with me that it's really 2006. :frown:

Ivan Seeking said:
February 17, 2005
I know. I haven't found anything yet that would indicate what happened with it. I'm not familiar enough to know whether it could still be sitting around collecting dust or if it would have to already have been approved or struck down.

Pengwuino said:
Well i should introduce you to the likes around here. Basically your not allowed to be a Republican or else you're called a hitler-loving fascist bent on world destruction. All things that go wrong in the world is Bush's fault. Anytime Bush says something, its called fear-mongering and fascist and various other things. Bush leaves his shoes untied? Well he's catering to special interests obviously. Drinks some soda? Well he's actually taking away civil rights, etc etc.

I don't agree with everything he does but, at the same time, I'm not willing to jump on him and his entire party for everything that goes wrong. For example, everyone seemed to be rather pissed off over Cheney and his little accident:rofl: but I saw his actions as those of a man who saw he would be attacked for making a mistake and tried to avoid it. Now, I could, clearly, be wrong but that's just what my initial reaction was. *Shrugs*

Moonbear said:
You mean it's not still 2005? :eek: :rofl: Nope, I missed that. It's twice in two days I've seen something and thought it was recent when it really was a year ago! It just isn't sticking with me that it's really 2006. :frown:

To tell you the truth, I still have to think about it to be sure at times - 2006? nah...is it...noooo...yes! Crud, that's right!

Ivan Seeking said:
February 17, 2005
Also frequent attempts have been made over the years to modify or repeal the 22nd Amendment (e.g., in favor of Reagan), but none have yet been successful. And remember that no matter who proposes an a amendment, it does not become part of the Constitution unless/until it is ratified by three-quarters of the states.

So why did this group resubmit a proposal for repeal a year ago? Hoyer is a fairly high-ranking representative who favors election reform. Berman co-sponsored the "Honest Leadership and Open Government" package. A main issue for Sesenbrener is fair taxes. Sabo is one of the few who voted against invasion of Iraq, and Pallone I don't know, except like some of the others he has a legal background. None are rookies, and most serve on committees of significance.

In 2008 Bill Clinton will be 62, and aside from the age factor I doubt he would be the best candidate for the Dems. However, any Dem running in 2008 would be insured victory against Bush if he were allowed to run again, but personally I don't want any chance he could win. Maybe these representatives really believe the two-term limit can be hurtful to America. It has been on ongoing debate.

The current proposal is probably stuck in committee.

Last edited:
Anyone who would change the Constitution in order to get one man elected should be run out of Washington, IMO. My default position: Before even considering any ammendment like this it would have to be written such that it becomes effective in twenty years or more, but no sooner.

Ivan Seeking said:
Anyone who would change the Constitution in order to get one man elected should be run out of Washington, IMO. My default position: Before even considering any ammendment like this it would have to be written such that it becomes effective in twenty years or more, but no sooner.
Even if popular, this proposal wouldn't likely be repealed by 2008. But I agree about motive. Like removing the filibuster with the "nuclear option" it would be short-sighted, because some day it could backfire. It's best to keep various checks and balances in place.

22nd Amendment

Section 1. No person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice, and no person who has held the office of President, or acted as President, for more than two years of a term to which some other person was elected President shall be elected to the office of the President more than once. But this Article shall not apply to any person holding the office of President when this Article was proposed by Congress, and shall not prevent any person who may be holding the office of President, or acting as President, during the term within which this Article becomes operative from holding the office of President or acting as President during the remainder of such term.

Section 2. This Article shall be inoperative unless it shall have been ratified as an amendment to the Constitution by the legislatures of three-fourths of the several States within seven years from the date of its submission to the States by the Congress.

Much Ado About Nothing

I'd just point out here that over 10,000 amendments to the Constitution have been proposed since it was ratified in 1788. Of those only 27 have made it into the Constitution. It's not unusual for more than 100 amendments to be proposed in a single session of Congress. But, most of those never even make it to a committee hearing. In short, your chances of passing an amendment to the Constitution are only slightly better than your chances of winning the lottery.

So don't spend too much time fretting about a 3rd Bush presidency (although it would be kind of cool because we could nickname him George the Third, oh what delicious irony...)

Considering the popular knee-jerk reaction against such an amendment (a reaction I share) and the virtual certainty that it wouldn't even make it out of committee, I can't see any upside for even proposing it. Aren't these guys just hurting their own approval ratings? Anyone care to speculate on why they would propose such a thing?

russ_watters said:
Considering the popular knee-jerk reaction against such an amendment (a reaction I share) and the virtual certainty that it wouldn't even make it out of committee, I can't see any upside for even proposing it. Aren't these guys just hurting their own approval ratings? Anyone care to speculate on why they would propose such a thing?
I read some time back that this proposal is raised by the same guys every session. Their raison is that people should be free to vote for whosoever they wish rather than them trying to change the law to suit a particular candidate.

russ_watters said:

Most senators and congressman are in pretty solid positions after they've been in for more than one term, and it would take a lot to unseat many of them. Things like this don't even come to light for the most part, so it's not likely to hurt them. How many constituents of the persons who proposed this amendment do you think even know they did so?

If I were running against one of them, I'd make sure everyone knew.

russ_watters said:
I asked that question above:
SOS2008 said:
So why did this group resubmit a proposal for repeal a year ago? ...Maybe these representatives really believe the two-term limit can be hurtful to America. It has been an ongoing debate.
russ_watters said:
If I were running against one of them, I'd make sure everyone knew.
I don't feel this is much of an issue to run on or against. A similar issue:

A Republican congressman from California has introduced a bill that would amend the U.S. Constitution to allow foreign-born citizens to run for president. That would include Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Under Rep. Dana Rohrabacher's plan, anyone who has been an American citizen for at least 20 years and meets the other requirements could run for president.

Rohrabacher said he really had Rep. Tom Lantos in mind when he authored the bill. Lantos, who was born in Hungary, has served in the House for more than two decades. He says he is flattered but sees no need to amend the Constitution.

Schwarzenegger became a citizen in 1983 and has said he supports a Constitutional amendment so foreign-born citizens can run for president. However, he has sidestepped questions about whether he might want to run.

Both houses of Congress would have to approve Rohrabacher's proposed amendment by a two-thirds vote, then three-fourths of the states would have to vote in favor of it.

Utah Sen. Orrin Hatch has introduced similar legislation in the Senate.
http://www.news10.net/storyfull.asp?id=8072

Why do I suspect this won't hurt Hatch at all?

SOS2008 said:
Why do I suspect this won't hurt Hatch at all?

Because that yokel has almost superhuman invincibility in Utah right now. He could propose a Constitutional amendment banning coca cola and he would still win with 95% of the vote come November. In fact, he recently did something almost as stupid: proposed a bill that would have outlawed the internet! I just can't understand why the people of UT like him so much. He really hasn't done that much to help them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twenty-second_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution" [Broken]
The Twenty-second Amendment of the United States Constitution sets a term limit for the President of the United States, providing that "No person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice, and no person who has held the office of President, or acted as President, for more than two years of a term to which some other person was elected President shall be elected to the office of the President more than once." Prior to the adoption of the amendment, the constitution set no limit on the number of presidential terms. The United States Congress proposed the amendment on March 21, 1947. It was ratified by the requisite number of states on February 27, 1951.
Let me guess which party republican:uhh: This well not get though if it does everone in congress whould have to be suddenly absent.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can't revoke the 22cnd amendment, mainly because the president wouldn't be able to withstand the psychological trauma.