1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

UK Masters Programs Acceptance Ratios

1. May 8, 2015 #1
    Earlier this year I made (under a pseudonym) Freedom of Information requests to a number of British universities, asking for the numbers of applicants and offers for masters programs in physics. Perhaps the data will be of use to future applicants: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/user/matt_donovan/requests

It is interesting to note that the arguably most prestigious programs - Part III and QFFF at Imperial - have some of the highest acceptance ratios.

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2015 #2

RaulTheUCSCSlug

Gold Member

Perhaps it is because some students know their "limits" and choose not to apply to schools that they believe they may not have a shot at getting accepted to? (I would be astonished if this was true, but you never know.) Or perhaps the more prestigious schools believe that giving some students the opportunity will not go to waste since they know that they will work harder than others to keep up or stay on top of their curriculum. Who knows! Very interesting.

I never heard of the Freedom of Information act before this post. I'll look more into it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook