Ultra high energy cosmic ray deflection angle causes by magnetic field

In summary, in order to determine the maximum angular deflection of an ultra-high energy cosmic ray with energy 10^20 eV coming from a source 10 Mpc away with an extragalactic magnetic field strength of B = 10^-9 G, the Larmor radius formula should be used. However, the resulting angle may not be reasonable and further analysis may be needed.
Mikkel
Homework Statement
Maximum angular deflection of proton influenced by B-field
Relevant Equations
Larmor radius: R = (c*p)/(Z*e*B)
I'm given an ultra-high energy cosmic ray with energy 10^20 eV. It is coming from a source 10 Mpc away with an extragalactic magnetic field with strength B = 10^-9 G. I am to determine the maximum angular deflection of this cosmic ray, so it hits Earth.

I don't have an attempt of the solution as I'm not even sure what formula to use. I was thinking of using the Larmor radius and using that as the distance the particle have traveled and then it is a trigonometric problem, but it doesn't give me a reasonable angle.

Any hits or thoughts are appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
You should use the Larmor radius to determine the deflection angle. Make a sketch of the path of the particle with your calculation of the defection angle and show us why it "doesn't give me a reasonable angle".

Likes vanhees71

1. What are ultra high energy cosmic rays?

Ultra high energy cosmic rays are highly energetic particles that originate from outside our solar system and travel through space at nearly the speed of light.

2. How are cosmic rays deflected by magnetic fields?

Cosmic rays are charged particles, so they are affected by magnetic fields. As they travel through space, they can be deflected or redirected by the magnetic fields of planets, stars, and other celestial bodies.

3. What causes the deflection of cosmic rays?

The deflection of cosmic rays is caused by the Lorentz force, which is the force exerted on a charged particle by a magnetic field. The strength and direction of the magnetic field determine the amount and direction of deflection.

4. How does the energy of cosmic rays affect their deflection angle?

The energy of cosmic rays does not have a direct effect on their deflection angle. However, higher energy cosmic rays may travel further before being deflected, due to their higher speeds and momentum.

5. Why is understanding the deflection of cosmic rays important?

Studying the deflection of cosmic rays can provide valuable information about the magnetic fields in our universe. It can also help us understand the origins and behavior of these highly energetic particles, which can have implications for space travel and the safety of astronauts.