Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

UN Online volunteers - anyone?

1. Apr 11, 2016 #1
    I would like to apply for a job that I don't need to get paid.
    I used to apply for projects in UN Online Volunteers website but they ignored my resume.
    Do you know of any similar charity organizations I can contribute some of my little IT related effort to ? I can work the whole week for 2-3 hours each day, after I finish my paid job during workdays, at night or early in the morning. Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2016 #2
    Hi Pepper Mint:

I am not sure if this suggestion will be useful, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to post it.

Many public libraries would welcome IT volunteer help. It probably would involve face-to-face interactions, rather than online, but there is likely to be a public library near you where you might discuss a possible fit of your skills and schedule with their needs.

I have also emailed a friend who is active in FOSS (Free Open Source Software) to ask him for ideas, but I haven't received a response yet.

Good luck.

Regards,
    Buzz

4. Apr 12, 2016 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Where are you physically? What country, state/province, etc.?

5. Apr 13, 2016 #4
    You and I are only a click away if we are both online connected. I would want a job that I can work online remotely for free to help IT projects that service people who are less fortunate than others.
    Thank you Buzz a lot, I am not trying to look for one to mainly gain experience in coding and software development. So I prefer not to work on FOSS even if I might have a chance.

6. Apr 14, 2016 #5
    Hi @Pepper Mint:

I sent you a followup message as a conversation. Please let me know if you received it.

Regards,
    Buzz

7. Apr 14, 2016 #6
    Thank you Buzz for shedding light on things I should consider, very interesting !

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted