1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

UN Online volunteers - anyone?

1. Apr 11, 2016 #1
    I would like to apply for a job that I don't need to get paid.
    I used to apply for projects in UN Online Volunteers website but they ignored my resume.
    Do you know of any similar charity organizations I can contribute some of my little IT related effort to ? I can work the whole week for 2-3 hours each day, after I finish my paid job during workdays, at night or early in the morning. Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2016 #2
    Hi Pepper Mint:

I am not sure if this suggestion will be useful, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to post it.

Many public libraries would welcome IT volunteer help. It probably would involve face-to-face interactions, rather than online, but there is likely to be a public library near you where you might discuss a possible fit of your skills and schedule with their needs.

I have also emailed a friend who is active in FOSS (Free Open Source Software) to ask him for ideas, but I haven't received a response yet.

Good luck.

Regards,
    Buzz

4. Apr 12, 2016 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Where are you physically? What country, state/province, etc.?

5. Apr 13, 2016 #4
    You and I are only a click away if we are both online connected. I would want a job that I can work online remotely for free to help IT projects that service people who are less fortunate than others.
    Thank you Buzz a lot, I am not trying to look for one to mainly gain experience in coding and software development. So I prefer not to work on FOSS even if I might have a chance.

6. Apr 14, 2016 #5
    Hi @Pepper Mint:

I sent you a followup message as a conversation. Please let me know if you received it.

Regards,
    Buzz

7. Apr 14, 2016 #6
    Thank you Buzz for shedding light on things I should consider, very interesting !

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted