Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Unable to Start a Thread in Learning Materials forums.

1. May 30, 2013 #1
    Hi.

I can't start a thread in any of the Math & Science Learning Materials forums. I get the message:

So what's going on?

2. jcsd
  3. May 30, 2013 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I believe that only staff can post in the Learning Materials section. What were you wanting to post there?

4. May 30, 2013 #3
    A link to this, which gives guidelines for writing a scientific research article (from the biology department, but as far as I can tell, suitable for all science papers). I thought it was something many people might want to know, and I didn't know where else to put it.

5. May 31, 2013 #4
    Well, since no one is interested, let me continue. I was looking on the web specifically for rules on the style you should use in scientific papers.

For example, some sources say the methods and results must be in the passive voice, others say always use the active voice. Some say avoid the first person, rather use "this paper", "this study" etc. others say you must always use the first person.

I was hoping to make a thread where people can share resources on this sort of thing.
    Can Anyone HELP!

6. May 31, 2013 #5

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

I think it depends significantly on the area of science and the journal. The best idea is to check similar publications and the style guidelines of the journal.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook