1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Unbanked and banked Curves problem

1. Jun 23, 2010 #1
    1. A roller coaster of mass 320 kg (including passengers) travels around a horizontal curve of radius 35 m. Its speed is 16 m/s. What is the magnitude and direction of the total force exerted on the car by the track?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 23, 2010 #2
    thats the entire problem?

4. Jun 23, 2010 #3
    yeah

5. Jun 23, 2010 #4
    as always this deals with centripetal acceleration covered by the formula Fc = (mv/r^2)

plug in the values and you get Fc= (320*16*16)/(35)

which solves for 2340.6N

Have a great day.. at least show some effort.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  6. Jun 23, 2010 #5
    i tried that but the answer is supposed to be 3900 N at 53 degrees above the horizontal, but thanks anyways

7. Jun 23, 2010 #6
    if theres a bank you didn't give me the full question. I cannot see an angle anywhere in the eq'n.. maybe some is cut off or elsewhere on the page..

8. Jun 23, 2010 #7
    Two forces acting on the roller coaster. Normal force , weight, frictional force.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  9. Jun 24, 2010 #8

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi dvela! Welcome to PF! :wink:

joshmdmd's formula for centripetal acceleration is wrong, it should be v2/r (not v/r2).

Try again. :smile:

(and joshmdmd, please don't give full answers on this forum)

10. Jun 24, 2010 #9
    There is no Friction in the question and there is normal force, gravitational force and centripetal force. Basically you are looking for magnitude and direction for normal force.. (got an infraction for solving the eq'n completely so i guess im not giving out more xD)

11. Jun 24, 2010 #10
    Re: Welcome to PF!

I already edited that out xD

12. Jun 24, 2010 #11

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

They were warnings, not infractions. And as explained, it's fine to give hints and ask probing questions, but it's not okay to solve homework problems for students here.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook