Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uncertainity and Mass teleporting

1. Nov 11, 2013 #1
    Firstly, this may seem far fetched... but bear with me.

According to uncertainity principle, there is a probability however small it may be to find a particle or energy anywhere in the whole universe. all along we have tried reducing the uncertainty of finding so that we can measure something accurately(this is my first assumption that everyone thought in this perspective), may be the perspective must have been in the lines of increasing the probability of finding a particle at a specific point in space,(i guess you can argue that reducing the uncertainity and increasing probability is same, but are they?), if this probability of finding a energy and mass can be selectively increased then a (cluster of )particle can be transported or can be beamed from one place to another(assuming the particles stay in the same form and other assumptions of mass to energy transformations). Lastly you may not find a real question here but i think it is worth discussing.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2013 #2
    > if this probability of finding a energy and mass can be selectively increased

That would be a teleporter, yes.
    *Far* easier said than done, though.

4. Nov 11, 2013 #3

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

In a completely boring universe where nothing happens at all for billions of years (or more), right.

I don't understand that part.

You can do that - every motion of an object is exactly this process. It has nothing to do with teleportation, however.

5. Nov 11, 2013 #4
    Whats that? Every motion is a teleportation that has nothing to do with teleportation?

6. Nov 11, 2013 #5

mfb

2016 Award

No, every motion is a controlled way to increase the probability to find particles at specific other regions at a later time.

What you are describing has nothing to do with teleportation.

7. Nov 11, 2013 #6
    @Mentor: Motion is not teleporting in any sense, because teleporting is a quantum event where there is some mass-energy-mass reactions(more precisely conversions) take place(there is no definite proof only indications that these reactions may take place), that's not the case with motion, It's just a result of the acting force, where the whole body is intact.

@Mentor:

Whenever the uncertainty principle is used we keep a threshold for either momentum or position and try to calculate the other, and say that we can find this certain particle/energy at a certain location with this amount of uncertainty/certainty.

Remember the double slit experiment by young, this proves that the particle takes not just one but all the possible routes/paths to reach the target, so in the same way if teleportation to work there must be a target and not just any target a similar one to the source, which can recreate the same mass-energy-mass conversions as the source to receive.

I want to stress the point that i know i am very far off from reality but is it possible if we put our heads together, can we come at least an inch closer is what i am interested in.

8. Nov 12, 2013 #7

mfb

2016 Award

I know, and what you describe in the first post is not teleportation.

I don't think that makes sense.

Certainly not if you don't start with actual physics.

My nick is mfb, by the way, mentor is my staff position here.

9. Nov 15, 2013 #8
    But this "motion" is just a manifestation of the observation of position at a quantum level. All motion is fundamentally quantum mechanical. This "teleportation" that you speak of takes place all the time. It's just overwhelmingly more likely that it is the least ununusal type, which gives rise to what you call "motion".

10. Nov 15, 2013 #9

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

You have a severe misunderstanding of what "quantum teleportation" means. You should not confuse that with the "teleportation" as in Star Trek. They are NOT the same, and in fact, has no resemblance to each other. Please note that you do not have the freedom to make up your own definition to the popular or standard words and phrases that are in use in physics. Each one of these names have clear, underlying mathematical descriptions that clearly DEFINE what they are!

I suggest you try to first of all understand what "quantum teleportation" is with respect to quantum entanglement BEFORE you try to extrapolate that to what you are trying to do. If not, you will be in violation of the speculative post rule of our forum.

Zz.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  11. Nov 15, 2013 #10
    @ Mentor. According to Wiki "mentorship is a personal development relationship in which a more experienced or knowledgeable person attempts to guide a less experienced or knowledgeable person"
    I suggest you try rising to your title or consider changing it.

12. Nov 15, 2013 #11

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I suggest you do not try to redefine the designation of the word "Mentor" as used within the context of this forum.

And if you think the Wikipedia is the word of god, then you have a lot of surprises in store for you.

BTW, that quote you cited IS my attempt ".... to guide...". I advised the OP on what he/she should do first.

Zz.

13. Nov 15, 2013 #12
    Tough love can be necessary sometimes.....

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook