1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uncertainties of a group of results

1. Oct 1, 2014 #1
    I got a table for a simple pendulum. I have 8 lengths, from 0.20m going up by 0.01 to 0.27. For each length, I have time for 10 oscillations (10T) that I've measured, and I have repeated the measurement twice for each length. Then I got the average time for 10T. I divided this average to give me an average for time period of one oscillation, T. I've plotted a graph of T2 against L, and so I also worked out T2 for each lengths' period time, T.

I am stuck on the uncertainty. I have tired tried to work it out but when I do it for T I get 6.77%, and I do it for the spread of my results for T, but when I rise it to the power of 2 to get T2 its 45.89%. I can't have such a huge uncertainty. And also I am worried because it is uncertainty in measurement but I can firmly say that I didn't measure T but 10T, and so should I do the uncertainty for average 10T instead?

What uncertainty would be the best to put down on my write up?

I'm an A Level physics student.

Thank you for all your help!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2014 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No way one can untangle this. 46 is the square of 6.8, but that's not the way errors propagate!
    Show your work.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted