1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cartesian to polar unit vectors + Linear Combination

1. Mar 20, 2015 #1
    I've been trying to solve this question all day. If somebody could point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it!

(ii) A particle’s motion is described by the following position vector r(t) = 4txˆ + (10t − t)ˆy Determine the polar coordinate unit vectors ˆr and ˆθ for r. [4]

v(t) is given as: v(t) = 4xˆ + (10t − 1)ˆy
    (iv) Using the ˆr and ˆθ you found in (ii) above, write v(t) as a linear combination of rˆ and ˆθ. [4]

(v) Differentiate the expression for r(t) you got in part (ii) (in terms of ˆr and ˆθ, and using the expressions ˙rˆ = ˙θ ˆθ , ˙ˆθ = − ˙θrˆ derived in the lectures, show that you obtain the same answer as in part (iv)

I understand that for θ^ = -sinθ + cosθ and r^=sinθ + cos θ I'm just unsure how to do part (ii) without it being really messy e.g with cos(tan^-1(10t-1/4)) where tan^-1(10t-1/4)=θ especially knowing I have to find a linear combination afterwords.

The attempt at a solution
    My current answer for part (ii):
    r^= cos(tan^-1(10t-1/4))x^ + sin(tan^-1(10t-1/4))y^
    θ^= -sin(tan^-1(10t-1/4))x^ + cos(tan^-1(10t-1/4))y^

And for part (iv) am I am right in saying that I need to find, a and b scalars for the following:
    4 = a*cos(tan^-1(10t-1/4)) +b*-sin(tan^-1(10t-1/4))
    10t-1 = a*sin(tan^-1(10t-1/4))+b*cos(tan^-1(10t-1/4))

I'm really not sure about this one. It appears like it's going to difficult to eliminate the t value.
    Anyway, thanks in advance, I'm going to keep working on it now.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2015 #2

Svein

Science Advisor

I am pretty sure there's at least one typo here. Why would anybody specify (10t - t)y?

4. Mar 20, 2015 #3
    Yes that was a typo, sorry.
    But when I say y^ -'y' hat (Or ^y - the typo) I mean it as the component, and it's the same with the others, it was just a formatting error

5. Mar 20, 2015 #4
    Hi. This all seems a bit confusing, partly because of notation and possible typos... (What's the correct r(t) you are given, by the way?)
    Now regardless of that, you seem to have taken a wrong track in the beginning. So to avoid the hats i'm going to define: r-hat = er ; θ-hat = eθ , and: x-hat = ex ; y-hat = ey

You know that in polar coordinates (because you mention it at some point):
    er = cosθ ex + sinθ ey , eθ = –sinθ ex + cosθ ey , and this is always true.
    You also know that: cosθ = x/r = x⋅(x2+ y2)–1/2, and: sinθ = y/r = y⋅(x2+ y2)–1/2 ,
    And this is also always true.
    Now you are given an expression: r(t) = x(t) ex + y(t) ey,
    So what does all that make of er and eθ?

6. Mar 21, 2015 #5

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

I think the typo referred to was writing the y-component as ##10t-t##. Why not simply write it as ##9t##? Plus it's inconsistent with what you later said was the y-component of the velocity, ##10t-1##. That's not the derivative of ##10t-t##.

7. Mar 22, 2015 #6

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Chris, can you clear this up ?

Either

##\vec r(t) = 4t\hat x + (10 t^2 - t )\hat y\ \ ##, but then ##\vec v(t) = 4\hat x + (20 t - 1)\hat y##,

or

##\vec v(t) = 4\hat x + (10 t - 1)\hat y\ \ ## and then ##\vec r(t) = 4t\hat x + (5 t^2 - t )\hat y##.

Unless, of course, there is more than one typo harassing us...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted