Uncertainty of experiment relative or absolute

In summary, the conversation discusses how to determine if uncertainty is relative or absolute. The speaker used a quick and dirty method of checking if the uncertainty has units - if it does, it is absolute; if not, it is relative. They also mention that if the uncertainty is expressed as a percentage, it is always relative. The use of relative or absolute uncertainty depends on the specific application and the context of the measurement.
hulk78
I calulated the time(s), then i found the uncertainty as a percentage of my results. Later on i calculated 1/time and used the uncertainty % which i originally calulated.

Could somebody tell me if it is relative or absoulte uncertainty and why?

Physics news on Phys.org
It appears (as best as I can understand what you did) to be relative uncertainty.

mathman said:
It appears (as best as I can understand what you did) to be relative uncertainty.

But could you please tell me how to know if the uncertainty is relative or absolute?

It's relative because you calculated the uncertainty as a percentage of your results. It's absolute if you quote the error in the same units as the measurement.

I expect this would mean something like "10 seconds with 10% error" i.e. 10 +/- 1 s (absolute)

The result of inversion is "0.1 Hz with 10% error", i.e. 0.1 +/- 0.01 Hz (absolute)

A quick and dirty way to understand what you ask is to see if the uncertainty has units. If yes it is absolute (e.g in Mikey's example
10+/- 1 sec , the error=1 is measured in seconds=>absolute).
Else, if you measure the error/mean this is the relative uncertainty -> it is dimensionless

I can understand that you don't want to get it 'wrong' but, once you see the logic of the distinction, I think you will be able to use the terms appropriately.

If your uncertainty is expressed as a "percentage" then it is Relative, by definition and, if it is given in actual units, it would be absolute.
A digital chronometer can be a couple of seconds wrong over a month. Those two figures, taken together, tell you both the relative and absolute uncertainty and which you use will depend on that actual application. You can be pretty sure that the time will not drift by more than a small fraction of a second over one hour and that might be very relevant for some measurements - the fact that it could be two seconds out would not matter if you are measuring someone's lap time.

What is the difference between relative and absolute uncertainty of an experiment?

The relative uncertainty of an experiment is expressed as a percentage of the measured value, while absolute uncertainty is expressed in the same units as the measured value.

How is uncertainty of an experiment calculated?

The uncertainty of an experiment is calculated by taking the average of the absolute differences between each measurement and the mean value, and dividing it by the mean value.

What factors can contribute to uncertainty in an experiment?

There are several factors that can contribute to uncertainty in an experiment, such as human error, equipment limitations, and environmental conditions.

Why is it important to consider uncertainty in an experiment?

Considering uncertainty in an experiment is important because it allows us to determine the range of possible values for a measurement, and helps us to determine the accuracy and reliability of our results.

How can uncertainty in an experiment be reduced?

Uncertainty in an experiment can be reduced by using more precise and accurate equipment, minimizing sources of error, and repeating the experiment multiple times to obtain a more reliable average value.