1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uncertainty of room mode frequencies

1. Aug 7, 2011 #1
    Hi - I'm new here - I'm just writing a paper based on an acoustical analysis of a rock/pop performance venue in a college I work at, and I'm up to my uncertainties section.

I've read up on uncertainties, and feel confident in working out uncertainties for simple additions, multiplications, divisions, squares and roots - but my equation is more complex than that.

Here's the main equation: -
    [PLAIN]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11341635/Room%20modes.png [Broken]

nx, ny and nz are integer values from one to infinity.

lx = 13.640 m ± 0.005 m
    ly = 8.109 m ± 0.005 m
    lx = 6.241 m ± 0.005 m

c is the speed of sound and is calculated using the equation: -
    [PLAIN]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11341635/Speed%20of%20sound.png [Broken]
    (the 101.1% is due to humidity at 30 degrees C and 30 % humidity - the maximum that could have been reached during the experiment).

T was 23 degree C ± 2

I'm not sure how to deal with the integer values - I'll need to put values to each at some point - I was assuming each would be either 1, or the maximum reached during the experiment (around 15), but this would mean that the end uncertainty would be a variable number depending on what these integers were.

Assuming each integer value were 1, how do you deal with 1/x in uncertainties? I can't find any reference to this in all my guidance documents.

Then finally there's the square root to deal with. I know that to deal with a square root you usually divide the relative uncertainty by 2, but what if it's a square root of a bunch of uncertainties - like in this case.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 7, 2011 #2
  4. Aug 7, 2011 #3
    The key is to take the log of both sides and differentiate then.

5. Aug 7, 2011 #4
    Thanks - I'm reading that document now.

What about a simpler one - I have two sets of data for reverberation time measurements - one at 500 Hz and one at 1,000 Hz. The estimated mean average for the 500 Hz set is 0.908 s with a relative uncertainty of 0.00861 s and for the 1,000 Hz set these are 0.793 s and 0.0194 s.

I need the mid-frequency reverberation time, which is a mean average based on only the 500 Hz and 1,000 Hz measurements. So in this case it is (0.908+0.793)/2 = 0.850 s. How do I work out the uncertainty for this value?

6. Aug 7, 2011 #5
    I think I'm getting it. For the last example I arrived at the following equation: -

[PLAIN]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11341635/Uncertainty%20of%20MidFrequency%20Reverberation%20Time.png [Broken]

Think I've got in about as deep as I need for now.

Many thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook