Uncertainty of room mode frequencies

In summary, the author is new to the field of acoustics and is unsure of how to deal with uncertainties in their calculations. They have read up on the subject and understand the general formula for dealing with a square root, but are unsure of how to do so for a more complicated equation. They also have two sets of data, one for 500 Hz and one for 1,000 Hz, for reverberation time measurements. The author needs the mid-frequency reverberation time, which is a mean average based on the 500 Hz and 1,000 Hz measurements. They calculate this value using the equation: -
pitchtwit
Hi - I'm new here - I'm just writing a paper based on an acoustical analysis of a rock/pop performance venue in a college I work at, and I'm up to my uncertainties section.

I've read up on uncertainties, and feel confident in working out uncertainties for simple additions, multiplications, divisions, squares and roots - but my equation is more complex than that.

Here's the main equation: -
[PLAIN]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11341635/Room%20modes.png

nx, ny and nz are integer values from one to infinity.

lx = 13.640 m ± 0.005 m
ly = 8.109 m ± 0.005 m
lx = 6.241 m ± 0.005 m

c is the speed of sound and is calculated using the equation: -
[PLAIN]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11341635/Speed%20of%20sound.png
(the 101.1% is due to humidity at 30 degrees C and 30 % humidity - the maximum that could have been reached during the experiment).

T was 23 degree C ± 2

I'm not sure how to deal with the integer values - I'll need to put values to each at some point - I was assuming each would be either 1, or the maximum reached during the experiment (around 15), but this would mean that the end uncertainty would be a variable number depending on what these integers were.

Assuming each integer value were 1, how do you deal with 1/x in uncertainties? I can't find any reference to this in all my guidance documents.

Then finally there's the square root to deal with. I know that to deal with a square root you usually divide the relative uncertainty by 2, but what if it's a square root of a bunch of uncertainties - like in this case.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The key is to take the log of both sides and differentiate then.

Thanks - I'm reading that document now.

What about a simpler one - I have two sets of data for reverberation time measurements - one at 500 Hz and one at 1,000 Hz. The estimated mean average for the 500 Hz set is 0.908 s with a relative uncertainty of 0.00861 s and for the 1,000 Hz set these are 0.793 s and 0.0194 s.

I need the mid-frequency reverberation time, which is a mean average based on only the 500 Hz and 1,000 Hz measurements. So in this case it is (0.908+0.793)/2 = 0.850 s. How do I work out the uncertainty for this value?

I think I'm getting it. For the last example I arrived at the following equation: -

[PLAIN]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11341635/Uncertainty%20of%20MidFrequency%20Reverberation%20Time.png

Think I've got in about as deep as I need for now.

Many thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is meant by "uncertainty of room mode frequencies"?

The uncertainty of room mode frequencies refers to the variation or range of possible frequencies at which sound waves can resonate within a room. This can be affected by factors such as the room's dimensions, shape, and materials, which can create a variety of resonant frequencies.

2. How is the uncertainty of room mode frequencies measured?

The uncertainty of room mode frequencies can be measured through various methods, including physical measurements of the room's dimensions and computer simulations using acoustic modeling software. Both methods can provide an estimate of the range of frequencies that may be present in a room.

3. What are the implications of high uncertainty of room mode frequencies?

A high uncertainty of room mode frequencies can result in acoustic issues within a room, such as uneven frequency response, excessive bass buildup, and standing waves. This can negatively impact the overall sound quality and listening experience in the room.

4. Can the uncertainty of room mode frequencies be reduced?

While it is not possible to completely eliminate the uncertainty of room mode frequencies, it can be reduced through proper acoustic treatment and room design. This can involve using sound-absorbing materials, strategically placing speakers and listening positions, and adjusting the room's dimensions to minimize resonant frequencies.

5. How does the uncertainty of room mode frequencies affect the accuracy of sound reproduction?

The uncertainty of room mode frequencies can significantly impact the accuracy of sound reproduction in a room. This is because it can create peaks and dips in the frequency response, causing certain frequencies to be over or underrepresented. This can make it challenging to accurately mix or listen to sound in the room.