Basic trigonometry in dynamics force problem

In summary, the conversation discusses two spheres with equal mass and charge hanging by threads at a 60-degree angle. The value of the charge is calculated using trigonometric and vector equations, with the solution being 1.7 x 10^-7 Coulombs. A different method is also mentioned, but the same result is achieved. The question of why certain values were used in the equations is raised, but the conversation ends without a definitive answer.
Bunny-chan

Homework Statement

Two spheres, with [itex]0.5g[/itex] each, are hanging by [itex]30cm[/itex] threads, tied on the same spot. The same electric charge is communicated to each sphere; in consequence, the threads move apart until they are about [itex]60^\circ[/itex] from each other. What is the value of the charge?

[itex]\theta = \frac{60^\circ}{2} = 30^\circ \\
\\m = 0.5g = 0.0005kg\\ d = 30cm = 0.3m[/itex]

Homework Equations

Not needed.

The Attempt at a Solution

So, what I did was the following:

[tex]\tan \theta = \frac{\vec F}{\vec P} \\ \Rightarrow \frac{\sqrt 3}{3} = \frac{\vec F}{m\vec g} = \frac{\vec F}{0.0005 \times 9.8} = \frac{\vec F}{0.005} \\ \Rightarrow \vec F = \frac{\sqrt 3}{3} \times 0.005 = 0.0028 \\[/tex][tex]k \frac{q^2}{d^2} = 0.0028 \\ \Rightarrow 9 \times 10^9 \times \frac{q^2}{0.3^2} = 2.8 \times 10^{-3} \\ \Rightarrow q^2 = \frac{(2.8 \times 10^{-3}) \times (9 \times 10^{-2})}{9 \times 10^9} = 2.8 \times 10^{-14} \\ \Rightarrow q = 1.7 \times 10^{-7}C[/tex]My result did match the answer in the textbook, but searching through the web, I came across a different way of solving it:

v6h0Lxr.png

The rest is just like mine, so I didn't bother putting it. Anyway, he reached the same result, but with a different method and trigonometric relations, which I'm quite lacking in and I couldn't understand very well yet.

Why did he conclude that
ca416d5dfd214713807a96b6c4bfef7d.png

and
56f040f51842463aa3cf040d13f2222e.png

?

I know I could just go on and ignore this because I already solved the exercise, but vectors are a puzzling topic for me and I feel like there's something I'm missing... I'd appreciate some help!

Physics news on Phys.org
i hope that help
prove.jpg

Likes Bunny-chan
the d part :
prove 2.jpg

Likes Bunny-chan

1. What is trigonometry and how is it used in dynamics force problems?

Trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the relationships between the sides and angles of triangles. In dynamics force problems, trigonometry is used to calculate the forces acting on an object at different angles and to determine the direction and magnitude of these forces.

2. What are the basic trigonometric functions used in dynamics force problems?

The basic trigonometric functions used in dynamics force problems are sine, cosine, and tangent. These functions help in determining the ratios of the sides of a triangle based on the given angle.

3. How is the Pythagorean theorem used in dynamics force problems?

The Pythagorean theorem is used in dynamics force problems to calculate the magnitude of the resultant force acting on an object. It states that the square of the hypotenuse (longest side) of a right triangle is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides.

4. Can trigonometry be used in non-right triangles in dynamics force problems?

Yes, trigonometry can be used in non-right triangles in dynamics force problems. This is done by using the law of sines and the law of cosines, which help in determining the missing angles and sides of any triangle.

5. How can trigonometry be applied to real-life dynamics force problems?

Trigonometry is used in various real-life dynamics force problems, such as calculating the forces acting on a bridge, determining the tension in a rope, or analyzing the forces acting on a moving object. It is also used in fields like engineering, physics, and architecture to solve practical problems involving forces and motion.