Uncertainty of Speed of Sound in water, using Mackenzie's Equation

In summary, the uncertainty in the speed of sound in water can be calculated using the Mackenzie equation.
Lloyd_Towler
Homework Statement
Uncertainty of Speed of Sound in water, using Mackenzies Equation
Relevant Equations
c = 1448.96 + 4.591T - 5.304 x 10-2T2 + 2.374 x 10-4T3 + 1.340 (S-35) + 1.630 x 10-2D + 1.675 x 10-7D2 - 1.025 x 10-2T(S - 35) - 7.139 x 10-13TD3

T = temperature in degrees Celsius
S = salinity in parts per thousand
D = depth in metres
C (speed of sound) = 1436.30 m/s

Temperature= 7.5°C ±0.5
Salinity= 0 (no error)
Depth= 17.5cm ±0.5
I need to calculate the overall uncertainty of the value I have obtained for the speed of sound in water, using Mackenzies equation... I am not sure in what way to combine the above uncertainties. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Lloyd

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-03-03 at 12.22.30.png
    Screenshot 2021-03-03 at 12.22.30.png
    4.7 KB · Views: 98
Physics news on Phys.org
The standard approach is if c = f(xi) =F(T,S,D) then the uncertainty in f is given by
$$
\Delta f = \sqrt{\sum_{I=1}^{n} \left (\frac{\partial f}{\partial x _{i}} \right ) ^{2}\Delta x_{i}^{2} }$$

with Δx1 = the uncertaintly in T, Δx2 = the uncertaintly in S, and Δx3 = the uncertaintly in D.
The f/∂xi's are evaluated at the respecive datat points.

You know how to take a derivative, don't you?

Unfortunately, I don't have a clue how to take a derivative...😂

OK
For your equation, they are simple

Derivatives of constants are zero.

Derivatives of the form Xn are ∂ Xn /∂T = nX n-1

so for example, the ∂ T /∂T = 1 , ∂ T2 /∂T = 2T , ...

See the pattern?

Sorry I'm not following... could you possibly give an example with a slightly simpler equation so I can try get my head round it?
Thanks for your help :smile:

Sure I can show you the general approach just substitute your own variables.

take f = aX + bY2 + cZ3

using (oops I see iI didn't proof my post too well) should have been ∂ Xn /∂x = nX n-1

Apply this to each part of f you get

∂f/∂X = ∂aX/∂x = a since Y and Z are independent of X

∂ bY2 /∂Y= 2bY since X and Z are independent of Y

∂cZ3/∂z = 3cZ2 since X and Y are independent of Z

Evaluate each at the data point you wish to determine the uncertainty and substitute their values along with the uncertainties of the variables into the equation for ΔX

I strongly recommend, as a first step, writing the equation with symbols instead of all those numbers. See e.g. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_of_sound#Seawater.
This will be much easier to work with until you have the expression for the uncertainty. Only plug in the numbers then.

Likes gleem
It looks ok except for your interpretation of the uncertainties. Use the actual uncertainty, not relative uncertainty.

The uncertainty to be used is the total value of the uncertainty in each variable so for temperature it should be the resolution plus any calibration uncertain in the instrument or accuracy stated by the manufacturer of the instrument and anything else that might affect the final value. The same for the depth. For the temperature, it should include resolution + thermometer + maybe estimates of errors introduced from reading the thermometer and anything. Since these can be considered random you may sum them in quadrature, i.e. the total thermometer uncertainty is $$
\Delta T = \sqrt{\left ( 0.5 \right )^{2}+ (accuracy)^{2} +\sum (\Delta ?)^{2
}}
$$

okay sweet, ill get onto that now. Thanks for all the help!

Lloyd_Towler said:
Relevant Equations:: c = 1448.96 + 4.591T - 5.304 x 10-2T2 + 2.374 x 10-4T3 + 1.340 (S-35) + 1.630 x 10-2D + 1.675 x 10-7D2 - 1.025 x 10-2T(S - 35) - 7.139 x 10-13TD3

Temperature= 7.5°C ±0.5
Salinity= 0 (no error)
Depth= 17.5cm ±0.5

I need to calculate the overall uncertainty of the value I have obtained for the speed of sound in water, using Mackenzies equation... I am not sure in what way to combine the above uncertainties. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Are you required to provide a formal/rigorous calculation of the uncertainty? If not, here’s what I'd do.

Set-up a spreadsheet for calculating speed using the Mackenzie Equation with the values of T, D (and S if you want) in separate cells.

Use the spreadsheet to calculate the 4 speeds corresponding to the 4 different combinations of the ‘extreme’ values of T and D:
T = 7.0°C, D = 0.170m
T = 8.0°C, D = 0.170m
T = 7.0°C, D = 0.180m
T = 8.0°C, D = 0.180m

Take the uncertainty in speed as half the difference between the largest and smallest speeds (from the 4 calculated speeds).

(I sit back an await the insults!)

As an aside, the format "Depth= 17.5cm ±0.5" isn’t correct. Better would be "Depth= (17.5±0.5)cm". The "0.5" is the uncertainty in cm.

Edit: Are you sure the value for depth is really 17.5cm? Check in case it is 17.5m (which seems more likely).

Last edited:

1. What is the significance of Mackenzie's Equation in determining the uncertainty of speed of sound in water?

Mackenzie's Equation is a widely used empirical formula that relates the speed of sound in water to its temperature, salinity, and depth. It is used to estimate the speed of sound in the ocean, which is crucial for various marine applications, including sonar systems, underwater communication, and oceanographic research. The equation takes into account the effects of temperature, salinity, and pressure on the speed of sound, providing a more accurate estimation compared to other simpler equations.

2. How does temperature affect the speed of sound in water?

Temperature has a direct effect on the speed of sound in water. As the temperature increases, the speed of sound also increases. This is because warmer water has a lower density, which allows sound waves to travel faster. On the other hand, colder water has a higher density, resulting in slower sound propagation. Therefore, accurate measurement and understanding of temperature variations are crucial in determining the speed of sound in water using Mackenzie's Equation.

3. What is the role of salinity in Mackenzie's Equation?

Salinity, or the concentration of dissolved salts in water, also plays a significant role in estimating the speed of sound in water. The more saline the water, the faster the sound waves can travel. This is because saltwater has a higher density compared to freshwater, allowing sound waves to propagate at a higher speed. Mackenzie's Equation takes into account the effects of salinity on the speed of sound, making it a more accurate formula for estimating sound speed in the ocean.

4. Does Mackenzie's Equation consider the depth of water in its calculation?

Yes, Mackenzie's Equation takes into account the depth of water in its calculation of the speed of sound. As the depth increases, the pressure also increases, which affects the speed of sound. The equation includes a term for pressure, which helps to account for the effects of depth on sound speed. This is especially important for deep-sea applications, where the depth can significantly impact the accuracy of sound speed measurements.

5. How accurate is Mackenzie's Equation in determining the speed of sound in water?

Mackenzie's Equation is considered to be one of the most accurate empirical formulas for estimating the speed of sound in water. However, it is still an approximation and may not account for all the variables that can affect sound speed in the ocean. Factors such as temperature gradients, composition of dissolved gases, and presence of marine life can also impact the speed of sound. Therefore, while Mackenzie's Equation provides a reliable estimation, it is always recommended to validate the results with direct measurements in the specific water body of interest.