1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to Combine Gradient Uncertainty with other Uncertainty?

1. Mar 31, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I did an experiment to measure the speed of sound(using two microphones and a hammer). I changed the distance between the two mics and calculated(using a fast timer) the time taken for the sound to reach from the start mic to the end mic. I made a graph(distance on x axis, time on y axis) on excel using my results and added a line of best fit. I need error bars and the uncertainty in the gradient. Also, I need to combine the uncertainty from the gradient with the random uncertainty, calibration and scale reading uncertainty(from meter stick). How can I do this?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know the formula for random uncertainty and the Pythagoras-like formula for combining uncertainties. I just don't know how to combine all of this with the gradient uncertainty.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2016 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

In general: include uncorrelated uncertainties in the individual datapoints, make sure your fit takes those uncertainties into account (not sure if excel can do that). Correlated uncertainties need a different approach.

4. Mar 31, 2016 #3
    @mfb Thanks for the reply I did a little experimenting and I combined the random uncertainty for each of my times with the digital reading uncertainty(using ∆w^2 = ∆x^2 + ∆y^2 + ∆z^2, x = random uncertainty, y = scale/digital reading uncertainty, z= calibration uncertainty ) and also did the same with my distances. I then plotted these in my excel graph as a custom error bar for each of my points. Is this the correct way to go? How would I go about finding the uncertainty of the gradient now, with the vertical and horizontal error bars in my graph too?

5. Mar 31, 2016 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Excel has a function for the uncertainty of parameters of linear functions, I don't know if you can also directly get them from a trend line, and I don't know if the uncertainties are taking into account properly (change them to see if the result changes).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted