Uncomfortable when it seems people are staring at you?

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date

Integral

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hint: his IQ is 1

In Britain it might be 2.

Yep it was one, and for some reason he used his middle finger.

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I have to admit I came to a slightly different conclusion.

Finally, finally, I'll be able to walk about in public without people thinking I'm some kind of freak just because I talk to myself! Now they'll just think me strange for waving my hands so much when I talk.
I still have a hard enough time noticing someone is on the phone if there isn't a cord dangling between them and the desk or wall. Those earphone things leave me very amused thinking people are talking to themselves all over the place.

Yep it was one, and for some reason he used his middle finger.
:rofl: I never heard that expression before. :rofl:

turbo

Gold Member
:rofl: I never heard that expression before. :rofl:
Back in HS in the '60s, that hand-signal would prompt "Is that your age, your IQ, or the number of friends you had before your dog died?" Maybe it's a regional thing... :rolleyes:

daniel_i_l

Gold Member
A few years ago the "skeptic" in Scientific American wrote an article which basically said proved that people can't feel that others are staring at them (simple experiment) and the the cause of the phenomenon is that when someone quickly turns around other people looking vaguely in their direction look at them and the person that turned around thinks that he was being stared at.

The question is if someone was staring at you, would you stare back?

I suppose you wouldn't if they were a stranger? But you would if you knew who they were?

because this is the librarian:

EE130C.350X200.G.jpg

now stop staring. :biggrin:

Looks like she's the one who's staring!

I'd flash her the 'Okay' sign but she might think it's my IQ.

What I'm really thinking is, She can read me a bedtime story anytime :!!)

Last edited:

Integral

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Back in HS in the '60s, that hand-signal would prompt "Is that your age, your IQ, or the number of friends you had before your dog died?" Maybe it's a regional thing... :rolleyes:
Yeah, it is based on something very similar to that. I thought is was pretty common.. put then I don't get out much
:cry:

Regional? maybe, but it has to be a region which includes Oregon and Maine...:surprised

Yea I was going to say that in the time that it takes you to turn around, the people can likely shift their eyes and 'stare' at you. This sometimes happens to me on the bus or something, I will be minding my own business and all of a sudden someone will turn around and I look in puzzlement as to why the turned around. A second later I go back into my own world but it probably looks as if I was staring at them. Try it sometime, turn around in a random crowd of people and I bet people are looking at you.

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
Homework Helper

JasonRox

Homework Helper
Gold Member
because this is the librarian:

EE130C.350X200.G.jpg

now stop staring. :biggrin:
Where did you get that picture?! Please tell you didn't!!!

It's from...

http://www.xxxhotblondsinskirtsasasecrataryxxx.com/xxxpicture/001.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I googled "PF sisterhood wanna-bes".
(Notice she can't fill out the size 8s.)
:biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:

turbo

Gold Member
That woud be...Portland?
You let the cat out of the bag. I would tell you where the wormhole is, but I'd lose my wormhole privileges if they found out. :biggrin:

I had to travel quite a bit as a technical consultant and after having a large Halliburton case full of camera gear get flown to Portland OR, while I went to Portland ME, I made extra sure to double check the destination tags before they were put on the conveyor. :grumpy:

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
Homework Helper