Undefined functions and limits

In summary, the conversation is about finding the limit of a given function as x approaches 0. The suggestion is to use de L'Hospital's rule to evaluate the limit in cases of an indeterminate form. Another suggestion is to compare the given limit with the derivative of sin(x) using the definition of the derivative.
thereddevils

Homework Statement

The function f is defined by f(x)=(3sin(2x^2))/x^2 , x<0 . Find limit f(x) when x approaches 0 .

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Of course , when i plug 0 in, f(x) is undefined . How do i make into a form where i can plug the 0 in without the function being undefined

Physics news on Phys.org

Well, I assume you know what [tex] \lim\limits_{x \to 0} \frac{sinx}{x} [/tex] is. That applies to x being more complex than a single number as well.
More generally, my suggestion is to read about de L'Hospital's rule that allows you to calculate limes when you encounter the situation [tex] \frac{0}{0} [/tex] or [tex] \frac{\infty}{\infty} [/tex].

irycio said:
Well, I assume you know what [tex] \lim\limits_{x \to 0} \frac{sinx}{x} [/tex] is. That applies to x being more complex than a single number as well.
More generally, my suggestion is to read about de L'Hospital's rule that allows you to calculate limes when you encounter the situation [tex] \frac{0}{0} [/tex] or [tex] \frac{\infty}{\infty} [/tex].

ok , i will try to read up that rule but is there any elementary method to evaluate the limit for that function ?

Can you write down the derivative of sin(x) by using the definition of the derivative? Compare this to the limit you're asked to compute.

thereddevils said:
ok , i will try to read up that rule but is there any elementary method to evaluate the limit for that function ?
If you are referring to [itex]\lim_{x\to 0} sin(x)/x[/itex], how you prove that depends on exactly how you are defining sin(x).

Cyosis said:
Can you write down the derivative of sin(x) by using the definition of the derivative? Compare this to the limit you're asked to compute.

you meant this :

[tex]f'(x)=\lim_{\delta x\rightarrow 0}(\frac{\sin (x+\delta x)-\sin x}{\delta x})[/tex] ?

Yes, how can you modify that expression so that it is equal to your limit problem?

What are undefined functions?

Undefined functions are mathematical functions that do not have a defined output for certain input values. This can occur when the input value causes the function to divide by zero or take the square root of a negative number, for example.

How do you determine if a function is undefined?

A function is undefined if it produces a result that is mathematically undefined, such as dividing by zero or taking the square root of a negative number. This can also occur when the function has a discontinuity, meaning it has a gap or jump in its graph.

What is a limit of a function?

A limit of a function is the value that a function approaches as the input value gets closer and closer to a certain point. It is a fundamental concept in calculus and is used to define continuity, derivatives, and integrals.

How do you find the limit of a function?

To find the limit of a function, you can use algebraic techniques, such as factoring and simplifying, to evaluate the function at the given point. You can also use graphical methods, such as using a graphing calculator or plotting points on a graph, to estimate the limit. Additionally, you can use the limit laws, which are a set of rules for evaluating limits of functions.

What is the difference between a finite and infinite limit?

A finite limit is a limit that has a defined and finite value. This means that the function approaches a specific number as the input value gets closer and closer to a certain point. An infinite limit, on the other hand, does not have a defined value and indicates that the function either approaches positive or negative infinity as the input value approaches a certain point.