1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Undefined functions and limits

1. Apr 16, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The function f is defined by f(x)=(3sin(2x^2))/x^2 , x<0 . Find limit f(x) when x approaches 0 .

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Of course , when i plug 0 in, f(x) is undefined . How do i make into a form where i can plug the 0 in without the function being undefined

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2010 #2
    Re: limits

Well, I assume you know what [tex] \lim\limits_{x \to 0} \frac{sinx}{x} [/tex] is. That applies to x being more complex than a single number as well.
    More generally, my suggestion is to read about de L'Hospital's rule that allows you to calculate limes when you encounter the situation [tex] \frac{0}{0} [/tex] or [tex] \frac{\infty}{\infty} [/tex].

4. Apr 16, 2010 #3

ok , i will try to read up that rule but is there any elementary method to evaluate the limit for that function ?

5. Apr 16, 2010 #4

Cyosis

Homework Helper

Can you write down the derivative of sin(x) by using the definition of the derivative? Compare this to the limit you're asked to compute.

6. Apr 16, 2010 #5

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

If you are referring to [itex]\lim_{x\to 0} sin(x)/x[/itex], how you prove that depends on exactly how you are defining sin(x).

7. Apr 16, 2010 #6

you meant this :

[tex]f'(x)=\lim_{\delta x\rightarrow 0}(\frac{\sin (x+\delta x)-\sin x}{\delta x})[/tex] ?

8. Apr 16, 2010 #7

Cyosis

Homework Helper

Yes, how can you modify that expression so that it is equal to your limit problem?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook