1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Undergrad EE to physics MS advice.

1. Oct 19, 2014 #1
    Sorry if this has been answered before. However I looked through a few threads and I didn't find any useful information.

My dilemma is as follows: I am a senior in EE and graduating this spring, but from what little experience i've had in the world as an engineer (doing senior project design) I have noticed that there is usually a PhD physicist at the top of a design project. I have been thinking about going for my MS in physics, but I don't know what kinds of classes I need to take in order to get accepted. I have always loved physics, and I probably would have majored in it in the first place had they offered it at my campus. I only have around a 2.9GPA from my EE classes, but my physics classes average at around a 3.0 (including applied electromagnetics).

Here are a couple questions:
    1) is it realistic to think that any company would pay for me to get a MS in physics?
    2) If I do need to take additional classes, what types of classes should I take before applying/taking GRE?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2014 #2

analogdesign

Science Advisor

You must have had unusual experience. Did you work at a National Lab on a physics experiment?

In 99% of real-world EE projects an EE is leading the development, not a Physicist. The only place I've seen Physicists run projects was in National Labs, and even then it is usually in a management capacity.

An MS in EE is more employable than an MS in Physics by far.

More to your point:

1. No it is not realistic that a company would pay for an MS in Physics. It is becoming quite rare for a company to pay people to get graduate degrees. I think a few defense contractors still do it somewhat but it is rare these days. If you can find it, then good for you, you beat the system.

2. I think getting into Physics grad programs is more competitive than EE grad programs. You need to take upper division physics classes (like QM, stat mech, atomic/nuclear, solid-state, etc)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook