Undergrad EE to physics MS advice.

In summary, the individual is a senior in EE and considering pursuing an MS in physics due to their interest in the subject and observation of physicists leading design projects. They have a 2.9 GPA in EE classes, but a 3.0 in physics classes. They are wondering if a company would pay for their MS in physics and what types of classes they should take before applying. The expert notes that it is unlikely for a company to pay for a graduate degree and that admission into physics programs may be more competitive. They recommend taking upper division physics classes such as quantum mechanics, statistical mechanics, atomic/nuclear physics, and solid-state physics.
Huskyguy
Sorry if this has been answered before. However I looked through a few threads and I didn't find any useful information.

My dilemma is as follows: I am a senior in EE and graduating this spring, but from what little experience I've had in the world as an engineer (doing senior project design) I have noticed that there is usually a PhD physicist at the top of a design project. I have been thinking about going for my MS in physics, but I don't know what kinds of classes I need to take in order to get accepted. I have always loved physics, and I probably would have majored in it in the first place had they offered it at my campus. I only have around a 2.9GPA from my EE classes, but my physics classes average at around a 3.0 (including applied electromagnetics).

Here are a couple questions:
1) is it realistic to think that any company would pay for me to get a MS in physics?
2) If I do need to take additional classes, what types of classes should I take before applying/taking GRE?

Physics news on Phys.org
You must have had unusual experience. Did you work at a National Lab on a physics experiment?

In 99% of real-world EE projects an EE is leading the development, not a Physicist. The only place I've seen Physicists run projects was in National Labs, and even then it is usually in a management capacity.

An MS in EE is more employable than an MS in Physics by far.

More to your point:

1. No it is not realistic that a company would pay for an MS in Physics. It is becoming quite rare for a company to pay people to get graduate degrees. I think a few defense contractors still do it somewhat but it is rare these days. If you can find it, then good for you, you beat the system.

2. I think getting into Physics grad programs is more competitive than EE grad programs. You need to take upper division physics classes (like QM, stat mech, atomic/nuclear, solid-state, etc)

1. Can I pursue a physics MS degree with an undergraduate degree in electrical engineering?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a physics MS degree with an undergraduate degree in electrical engineering. Many universities offer bridge programs or allow students to take prerequisite courses to prepare for a physics MS program.

2. Will my undergraduate courses in electrical engineering be relevant to a physics MS program?

While there may be some overlap in topics, the focus and depth of coursework in a physics MS program will be different from that of an undergraduate engineering program. However, your background in math and problem-solving skills will be useful in a physics MS program.

3. Do I need a strong background in physics to be accepted into a physics MS program?

It depends on the specific program and their admission requirements. Some programs may require a certain number of physics courses, while others may have more flexible requirements. It is important to research the specific program you are interested in and reach out to their admissions office for clarification.

4. How can I prepare for a physics MS program with an undergraduate degree in electrical engineering?

In addition to taking prerequisite courses, you can also try to gain research experience in physics during your undergraduate studies. You can also self-study physics topics and familiarize yourself with the concepts and terminology used in the field.

5. What career opportunities are available with a physics MS degree after completing an undergraduate degree in electrical engineering?

A physics MS degree can open up a variety of career opportunities, such as research positions in academia, government institutions, or private industries. It can also lead to opportunities in fields such as data science, engineering, or finance. Your background in electrical engineering can be a valuable asset in these fields.