• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Undergrad prep for research in rockey propulsion?

• Thread starter iratern
  • Start date
I think that R&D in rocket propulsion is something that I would like to do. I am just wondering what would be the best prep for it? Aerospace engineering or physics?

I am going to study physics and maths at the University of Toronto because it interests me and I believe that it can open a huge future for me, but I am curious about aerospace engineering. So if anyone who has experience can help me I would greatly appreciate it.

(I also realize that current research in rocket propulsion is heavy in plasma physics so I believe that I may be in right direction.)

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Aerospace engineering would probably provide better preparation for rocket propulsion, which is mostly chemical physics, chemical engineering and mechanical engineering. On the other hand, one can still study physics.

I'm not sure that 'current research in rocket propulsion is heavy in plasma physics', since flames are generally not plasmas in the sense that atoms are dissociated into nuclei and electrons, but are generally at best weakly ionized gases.

There is some research such as ion propulsion and perhaps some plasma propulsion.

Well, I my main reasoning is that chemical propulsion is reaching its limits and that the future rests in ion propulsion (for space). That's the impression I received from MIT's and Caltech's sites. But thanx for your opinion.