1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Undergraduate in Physics (need advice)

1. Nov 2, 2008 #1
    Hello everyone!

Here is a short (?) introduction of myself, by myself :

So I'm currently doing a Major in physics, I'm having a hard time right now but hopefully I will be successful.

Here are my questions :

Will a minor in electrical engineering help me somehow in my future jobs ? (I'm interested in Aerospatial)

Let's say I finish my major, and I see that there is no way that I could continue grad studies, do you think that changing to engineering afterward will be a waste of time? I'm going to spend around 3 years doing the major, I know I'm still young (20) and I can afford these kinds of waste of time, but I don't want to study for the next 20 years neither.

And my last question : Will I have a advantage (from an employer point of view) over another engineer if I have both the engineering and physic degree?

Last edited: Nov 2, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2008 #2
    My personal advice to you is to concentrate on your engineering, which is after all, applied physics. I think you will have more career opportunities in that area rather than just physics, and better careers to choose from (better paid, better career advancement). You can carry on with pure physics as a hobby later on if you wish, but if you can cut the mustard, engineering is a better career choice.
  4. Nov 13, 2008 #3
    Thank you for your advice!

Do think It's better to switch right in the middle of the major or at least finish it ?

If I switch now I have a minor in physics.

Thanks again,
  5. Nov 13, 2008 #4
    If it makes you happier, go ahead and switch. The only time I'd say suck it up and finish it is if you only have one or two semesters to go and switching would set you back two years.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?