1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Undergraduate mathematics for an engineer

1. Oct 24, 2012 #1
    I am an electrical engineer who is fascinated by mathematics. As you might expect, electrical engineering uses a lot of advanced concepts in mathematics from differential equations, linear algebra, calculus, complex analysis etc. However I would like to continue reading maths on my own.
    I would like anybody who has finished undergraduate maths list down the subjects in the order they were studied at the university because order matters when studying maths.
    eg.
    First year.
    1. College algebra
    2. Introduction to Linear Algebra
    3. Calculus 1
    4. Statistics
    etc etc etc

Please take my request seriously because I am serious about furthering my mathematical knowledge individually.
    Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I am going to assume that "college algebra" does NOT refer to "abstract algebra". In that case a reasonable order would be
    College Algebra
    Calculus I and then higher levels of Calculus
    Statistics
    Introduction to Linear Algebra
    Ordinary Differential Equations
    Partial Differential Equations

4. Oct 24, 2012 #3
    what about topics like Group Theory, Topology . . . things that are not done in engineering courses . . . where will their location be . . . all of the topics listed above I did in university with just introduction to PDE rather than anything indepth (Laplace equation, wave equation)

5. Oct 24, 2012 #4
    Math branches out. That is, you could go from analysis 1 to analysis 168 without ever taking abstract algebra, topology, etc. The only importance of order is from analysis 1 to analysis 2 to ... analysis 168.

Look at texts, syllabii, descriptions set out for courses at your university.

I too am an EE major with a a chuck of my undergraduate coursework set for pure mathematics. (Since I have 0 gen eds left and am taking upper division linear algebra on arrival). I was more worried not with order but what subjects as a whole would give me the most diverse experience of undergraduate mathematics across all availble fields.

Edit: Im assuming you're an EE major.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  6. Oct 24, 2012 #5
    No. I just finished EE a year ago but I had always wanted to become a mathematician !!

7. Oct 24, 2012 #6
    Ah. Well, I would still recommend looking at syllabii/course descriptions of courses from your former university(ies) that you believe you meet the prerequisites for and that interest you. Find the course text, go to google books and match course topics to the appropriate chapters that appear on the table of contents and you will have you order.

Note: Usually, a single text can span more than one course of that field and has maintains its personality from cover to cover.

Many texts appear in "who wants to be a mathematician" sticky in the top of the forum by mathwonk.

8. Oct 24, 2012 #7
    Maths has become an enormous field. Too big for any one person.

Some books that might take you on beyond what you already know and introduce serious areas of mathematics that might be of interest.

Differential Geometry : Prakash

Elementary Differential Geometry : O'Neill

Applied Functional Analysis : Griffel

Introductory Functional Analysis with Applications : Kreysig

Discrete Mathematics : Biggs

Discrete Mathematics for New Technology : Garnier and Taylor

Introduction to Topological and Metric Spaces : Sutherland

Introduction to Group Theory : Ledermann

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook