Undergraduate Physics - Applications?

In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between majoring in physics or chemistry, with the speaker leaning towards chemistry due to its applicability in laboratory experiments. They also express interest in the hands-on applications of physics, particularly in E&M and quantum mechanics. The other person in the conversation, a grad student in electrical engineering, mentions the numerous real-world applications of E&M and quantum mechanics, such as in plasma physics, semiconductor devices, and superconductivity. They also mention that as a visual learner, they find quantum mechanics to be very visual in terms of understanding concepts and equations.
cdotter
Hello,

If you remember, I'm stuck between majoring in physics or chemistry. I've been reading a bit on the different disciplines in both chemistry and physics and I'm leaning a bit towards chemistry now. The one thing that really gets to me in chemistry is how applicable it is - you can learn reaction mechanisms or the theory behind bonding, and put it to the test in the laboratory.

Now, I find parts of physics interesting but the big thing that bothers me is its lack of application. I was reading some lecture notes on an undergraduate E&M lecture and it's all deriving formulas. How much of undergraduate physics actually involves calculations? The one thing I liked in my high school physics class is that we actually calculated answers to problems; deriving equations doesn't do it for me...it seems to abstract. How much of E&M is actually applicable to real world situations? How applicable is quantum mechanics? While I barely understand the concepts, much less the mathematics behind it, the one thing that I found really interesting was Schrodinger's equation for the hydrogen atom and how it showed the spectral lines and orbital shapes. Is all of quantum mechanics this applicable?

edit:

I forgot to mention, but I'm a very visual learner, which is why I'm so interested in applicability. I like physics, but I want to see hands on applications of like - like in the chemistry lab...which is why I'm leaning heavily towards chemistry. Maybe taking physical chemistry would make up for me wanting to learn something past general physics, while still maintaining real world applications?

Physics news on Phys.org
There are tons of applications for E&M and quantum mechanics! Maxwell's equations, when used with the fluid equations, are used to describe plasmas, and plasma physics has tons of applications (Nuclear Fusion, etching circuits, coating, particle beams, etc.)

Quantum mechanics is needed for understanding the electronic properties of solids, and has led to the development of semiconductor devices and a better understanding of superconductivity. It is also useful for understanding the low temperature properties of fluids, such as the behavior of liquids composed of bosons or fermions. Most of the real-world applications of quantum mechanics usually fall within condensed matter or atomic/solid-state/optical physics.

Is all of quantum mechanics this applicable?

Well, the computer you're typing on depends on quantum mechanics to operate, as does essentially every electronic you own.

(I should mention that I'm a grad student in electrical engineering, and we use quantum mechanics on a daily basis in our research.)

Last edited:
How visual is quantum mechanics (not physically I mean)?

What is undergraduate physics?

Undergraduate physics is the study of the fundamental laws and principles that govern the natural world. It covers a wide range of topics, including mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics.

What are some common applications of undergraduate physics?

Some common applications of undergraduate physics include engineering, medicine, astronomy, and environmental science. Physics concepts and principles are also used in technology development, such as in the design of electronic devices and renewable energy sources.

What skills are required for studying undergraduate physics?

Studying undergraduate physics requires strong mathematical and analytical skills, as well as critical thinking and problem-solving abilities. It also involves hands-on experience with laboratory equipment and data analysis tools.

What are the career opportunities for those with a degree in undergraduate physics?

A degree in undergraduate physics can lead to a variety of career opportunities, including research and development positions in industries such as aerospace, energy, and telecommunications. It can also prepare individuals for careers in education, finance, and data science.

Is it necessary to have a background in physics to pursue undergraduate physics?

While having a background in physics can be helpful, it is not always necessary to pursue undergraduate physics. Many programs offer introductory courses for students with little to no prior knowledge in the subject. However, a strong foundation in mathematics and science is important for success in undergraduate physics.