Undergraduate research/lacky advice

In summary, the person is trying to find a job and has started by looking around their department at school. They have found a professor who is researching a specific area of interest and has asked the person how they should go about contacting him about potential job opportunities. The person has responded by telling the professor their name, year of school, and mathematics background. The professor has told the person that he just needs people with Mathematica skills and has offered to help the person find a project. The person is excited to meet with the professor later this week to discuss the project.
Jake4
So, I find myself right now, trying to look around for SOME sort of job. I started looking around my department at school (mathematics) and slowly started realizing I could possibly find something there.

I then found a professor, who I haven't spoken to before, that is researching exactly the kind of stuff I'm interested in.

My question is, how do I go about asking him about research opportunities, or any kind of employment opportunity? I don't mean to say I'm doing this to get paid, because I truthfully don't even know if that's something realistic to expect, but I just want to be in that atmosphere, you know? Even if I'm doing lacky work, and getting him coffee, I just want to begin to be around it.

So, how should I go about this? I don't want to send the wrong message to him or anything, but want him to know that I'm genuinely interested.

any help would be MUCH appreciated, I want to send him an email tonight or tomorrow.

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Just contact him with a nice message! Tell him what specific area of his research you're interested in, ask if there are opportunities for you to do a short placement. (Over the summer I presume) Wouldn't hurt to tell him your name ;) what year you're in etc etc...

If you send a nice enough message, even if he can't offer you anything chances are he'll ask around and suggest someone who can.

Getting a placement in your own department is a good stepping stone for getting placements elsewhere.

Last edited:
Awesome! I just went for it, and got a message back within about 30 minutes about a few projects he's working on that he needs students for :)

I gave him my mathematics background and such, and he essentially said he just needs people with Mathematica skills.

I'm going into talk to him about it later this week!

So excited. And from the tutorial videos, mathematica seems easily tackleable if I put some time into it. Coding looks fairly straightforward.

My only worry is, won't I have to at least partially understand the calculations being done to be able to enter them in?

I think I'm getting ahead of myself, as I'm sure this will be answered when I meet with him, but ... yayy!

do not worry too much..
in my school at least..those undergraduate project or research are usually for educational purposes..

you will learn the required knowledge and skill along the work

ahh well, that's good to hear. Although this isn't an undergrad project, I'm assisting him on a personal project, as well as a project he's doing with a grad student.

1. What is undergraduate research and why is it important?

Undergraduate research refers to the process of conducting original research as a student at the undergraduate level. It is important because it allows students to gain hands-on experience in their field of study, develop critical thinking skills, and make meaningful contributions to their chosen field of research.

2. How can I get involved in undergraduate research?

There are several ways to get involved in undergraduate research. You can reach out to professors or research labs in your field of interest, attend research fairs or conferences, or join a research-based student organization. It is also helpful to network with other students and faculty members to learn about potential research opportunities.

3. What skills can I gain from participating in undergraduate research?

Participating in undergraduate research can help you develop a wide range of skills, including critical thinking, problem-solving, time management, communication, and teamwork. It can also help you gain technical skills related to your specific field of research, as well as skills in data analysis, experimental design, and literature review.

4. How much time should I commit to undergraduate research?

The amount of time you should commit to undergraduate research will vary depending on your specific project and goals. It is important to discuss the time commitment with your mentor or research supervisor in order to set realistic expectations and balance your research with other academic and personal commitments.

5. What are some tips for success in undergraduate research?

Some tips for success in undergraduate research include setting clear goals and expectations with your mentor, being organized and keeping track of your progress, communicating effectively with your research team, and being open to learning from failures. It is also important to balance your research with self-care and maintain a healthy work-life balance.