Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Underground Storage Tank subjected to any loading when it is in burying?

1. Oct 15, 2006 #1
    :rofl: As i know there was the load for the weight of tank itself, second will be the volume of the soil on the top of the tank.
    Since the horizontal tank is round at the upper part, so is that the force wil be uniformlly distributed along the curve surface?
    Is that any force of stress applied from the side? bottom part?

Could i get info in more details in any website?

i appreciate it! :!!)
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2006 #2

If I'm not mistaken, the support is from both the top and bottom curves of the cylinder when positioned on it's side (with a bit of support also from the vertical end walls).

In this case the cylinder is basically two "arches" joined together. One arch is right side up and the other is upside down. :wink:

moo (moo') adj. Of no practical importance; irrelevant, such as a moo point (i.e. a cow's opinion).
  4. Oct 17, 2006 #3
    Sounds like you might be able to model it just like a big burried pipe. Check out some pipe mfg. sites.
  5. Oct 17, 2006 #4

Homework Helper

Basically, the stress equals [tex]\sigma = \gamma \cdot z[/tex], where [tex]\gamma[/tex] is the unit weight of the soil, in [kN / m^3], and z the depth. If there is underground water, you'll have to add the hydrostatic pressure, i.e. the pore pressure.

You may want to investigate this link: http://fbe.uwe.ac.uk/public/geocal/SoilMech/stresses/default.htm. (Click on 'stress profile applet'.)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?