Understand Chemistry Bond Symbol for Antioxidants and Free Radicals

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 4K views
Stephanus
Messages
1,316
Reaction score
104
Dear PF Forum,
I'm trying to understand antioxidant and free radicals. But I'm afraid that my chemistry is weak.
Perhaps someone can help me with this picture?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_peroxide
Wasserstoffperoxid.jpg

This is Hydrogen Peroxide. Neutral.
As much as I can surmise in this picture is...
1. It's H2O2, I don't need the picture to guess H2O2, Hydrogen Peroxide is clear.
2. Oxygen (Z = 8, electron configuration: 1s2 2s2 2s4 , Oxygen lacks 2 electrons in its outer shell.
3. Hydrogen (Z = 1, 1s1 ), lacks 1 electron
4. Left Oxygen is bound to upper left Hydrogen and right Oxygen, making it complete.
5. So is Right Oxygen.
6. Upper left Hydrogen is bound to left Oxygen, making it complete
7. So is Right Hydrogen.

What I want to ask is that symbol
A: Triangle
B: Broken triangle
C: Rectangle
Why A, B and C pictures are different? Are they bonded in different ways?

Thanks for any help.
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Thanks.
One more thing. Do you think that B - bond should be upside down? If you know what I mean I just click your link. No, it's the right picture. The broken triangle (B) should be as in the original picture, not upside down. Both hydrogens are 'close' to us. If we can say that.
I'm trying to edit the picture but your second reply just comes up.
And if H2O is three atom, that makes it planar, 2D
Then this Hydrogen peroxide perhaps is 3D?

Now, I think I can move on a little
Thanks DrClaude
 
Stephanus said:
Both hydrogens are 'close' to us. If we can say that.
Not sure what you mean here, but one hydrogen is closer to us than the oxygens, and one is farther away.

Stephanus said:
And if H2O is three atom, that makes it planar, 2D
Yes, with 3 atoms, you can always define a plane, except for linear molecules.

Stephanus said:
Then this Hydrogen peroxide perhaps is 3D?
All the atoms aren't in one plane, which is why you need the wedges to draw it in 2D.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Stephanus
DrClaude said:
Not sure what you mean here, but one hydrogen is closer to us than the oxygens, and one is farther away.
Yes, yes. I understand. All this time, I've never taken a glance at chemistry. I've never realized the molecule could be cubed or perhaps tetrahedron (dodecahedron??). Should have taken just 5 minutes to ponder it myself to realize it.
DrClaude said:
Yes, with 3 atoms, you can always define a plane, except for linear molecules.
Yes! Mathematic principle?
DrClaude said:
All the atoms aren't in one plane, which is why you need the wedges to draw it in 2D.
Ok.
Thank you very much DrClaude
 
Stephanus said:
Yes! Mathematic principle?
Yes. Three non-colinear points define a plane.