Understand physics vs engineering

In summary: Large Hadron Collider. They are also responsible for the design and operation of experiments at such accelerators.Some other possible careers for physicists include research in the field of astrophysics, nuclear physics, and quantum mechanics.
sublime
I understand physics vs engineering, is like thinking/solving vs applying. But waht exactly does a physicist do? could I get a few examples? Also how is Ohio U. in terms of undergrad for bothy physics and engineering, I may be getting a full ride. Thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
The majority of working physicists (as of 2006) are working in condensed-matter physics, which essentially is the physics of semiconductors and other solid-state materials. There are many, many other kinds of opportunities for physicists, but semiconductor technology is currently an extremely profitable enterprise and has the economic strength to employ a large number of physicists.

Keep in mind, however, that only ~4% (yes, fewer than one in twenty) of physics undergraduates ever go on to actually study pure physics. The majority end up working with engineers, and a significant minority end up doing financial analysis.

- Warren

i understand physics majors are prized in many fields, say medicine, because they are smart, have intuition, and know how to learn, reason and solve problems.

chroot said:
Keep in mind, however, that only ~4% (yes, fewer than one in twenty) of physics undergraduates ever go on to actually study pure physics. The majority end up working with engineers, and a significant minority end up doing financial analysis.

And the condensed-matter industry hires people from those 4% or from undergrads too?

quasar987 said:
And the condensed-matter industry hires people from those 4% or from undergrads too?

Both.

Really only 4%?

Wow. Half of our last graduating class went to grad school (out of thirty).

I no longer have the statistics nearby to show the 4% figure, but they were on a bulletin board in my university's physics department. People who work alongside engineers are no longer "pure" physicists, of course.

- Warren

chroot said:
I no longer have the statistics nearby to show the 4% figure, but they were on a bulletin board in my university's physics department. People who work alongside engineers are no longer "pure" physicists, of course.

- Warren

Hmm. I took the 4% to mean "went on to physics PhD" but I suppose its probably narrower than that.

I guess the statistic just means people who end up being theorists or experimentalists, working on pure physics experiments.

- Warren

Were those statistics based on PHD Graduates or both PHD and undergrads?

Just undergraduates. Don't quote me on it, I no longer have the source of the info.

- Warren

... or you could read an entry of my deleted journal that Greg had somehow rescued onto the PhysicsPost site.

http://www.physicspost.com/science-article-210.html

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, that statistic makes me deppressed. : (

who says engineers don't think and solve problems? A better distinction is a physicist creates knowledge and an engineer applies this knowledge. Both solve problems, and both definitely have to think, and both are equally important.

With the LHC coming online soon, you can expect the number of particle physicists to jump up a few notches (read: orders of magnitude). It'll be like the 1960's all over again...

Ah wow you think? That would be nice.

what would an industrial physicist do?

joelperr said:
With the LHC coming online soon, you can expect the number of particle physicists to jump up a few notches (read: orders of magnitude). It'll be like the 1960's all over again...

That sounds cool, but why? can you give me some links? It would help me a ton.

1. What is the difference between physics and engineering?

Physics is a branch of science that deals with the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. It is a fundamental science that seeks to understand the laws and principles that govern the universe. Engineering, on the other hand, is the application of scientific and mathematical principles to design, build, and maintain structures, machines, devices, systems, and processes. In simpler terms, physics is the science behind how things work, while engineering is the practical application of that knowledge.

2. Can someone be both a physicist and an engineer?

Yes, it is possible for someone to have knowledge and skills in both physics and engineering. Many professionals in the field of engineering have a strong background in physics, as it is the foundation of many engineering principles. However, it is important to note that the focus and approach of these two fields are different, so most individuals tend to specialize in one or the other.

3. Which field of study requires more math, physics, or engineering?

Both physics and engineering require a strong foundation in math. However, the level and types of math used in each field may vary. Physics tends to use more theoretical and mathematical concepts, while engineering relies more on applied math and calculations to solve practical problems. So, in general, physics may require a higher level of math, but both fields are highly math-intensive.

4. How do physics and engineering work together?

Physics and engineering often work together in a complementary manner. The laws and principles of physics provide the foundation for many engineering designs and solutions. Engineers use their understanding of physics to design and build structures, machines, and systems that can solve real-world problems. On the other hand, physicists may use engineering techniques and technologies to conduct experiments and gather data to better understand the laws of physics.

5. Which field offers more job opportunities, physics, or engineering?

Both physics and engineering offer a wide range of job opportunities. Physics graduates can find employment in research, academia, and various industries such as healthcare, energy, and technology. Similarly, engineers have a diverse range of career options in fields such as aerospace, civil, mechanical, electrical, and computer engineering. The demand for both physicists and engineers is expected to continue to grow in the coming years, so job prospects are good in both fields.