1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Understand physics vs engineering

1. Aug 22, 2006 #1
    I understand physics vs engineering, is like thinking/solving vs applying. But waht exactly does a physicist do? could I get a few examples? Also how is Ohio U. in terms of undergrad for bothy physics and engineering, I may be getting a full ride. Thanks for the help.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 22, 2006 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The majority of working physicists (as of 2006) are working in condensed-matter physics, which essentially is the physics of semiconductors and other solid-state materials. There are many, many other kinds of opportunities for physicists, but semiconductor technology is currently an extremely profitable enterprise and has the economic strength to employ a large number of physicists.

Keep in mind, however, that only ~4% (yes, fewer than one in twenty) of physics undergraduates ever go on to actually study pure physics. The majority end up working with engineers, and a significant minority end up doing financial analysis.

- Warren

4. Aug 22, 2006 #3

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

i understand physics majors are prized in many fields, say medicine, because they are smart, have intuition, and know how to learn, reason and solve problems.

5. Aug 22, 2006 #4

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

And the condensed-matter industry hires people from those 4% or from undergrads too?

6. Aug 22, 2006 #5

Both.

Really only 4%?

Wow. Half of our last graduating class went to grad school (out of thirty).

7. Aug 22, 2006 #6

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I no longer have the statistics nearby to show the 4% figure, but they were on a bulletin board in my university's physics department. People who work alongside engineers are no longer "pure" physicists, of course.

- Warren

8. Aug 23, 2006 #7

Hmm. I took the 4% to mean "went on to physics PhD" but I suppose its probably narrower than that.

9. Aug 23, 2006 #8

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I guess the statistic just means people who end up being theorists or experimentalists, working on pure physics experiments.

- Warren

10. Aug 23, 2006 #9
    Were those statistics based on PHD Graduates or both PHD and undergrads?

11. Aug 23, 2006 #10

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Just undergraduates. Don't quote me on it, I no longer have the source of the info.

- Warren

12. Aug 23, 2006 #11

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

13. Aug 23, 2006 #12

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

14. Aug 23, 2006 #13
    Wow, that statistic makes me deppressed. : (

15. Aug 23, 2006 #14
    who says engineers don't think and solve problems? A better distinction is a physicist creates knowledge and an engineer applies this knowledge. Both solve problems, and both definitely have to think, and both are equally important.

16. Aug 23, 2006 #15
    With the LHC coming online soon, you can expect the number of particle physicists to jump up a few notches (read: orders of magnitude). It'll be like the 1960's all over again...

17. Aug 24, 2006 #16
    Ah wow you think? That would be nice.

18. Aug 24, 2006 #17
    what would an industrial physicist do?

19. Aug 25, 2006 #18
    That sounds cool, but why? can you give me some links? It would help me a ton.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?