Understanding A Middle Ordinate In Terms Of Geometry

In summary: Therefore, in summary, the line EF will be its longest when line DB intersects AC at exactly half its length.
tomtomtom1
Hello community

I was hoping someone could help me with the following problem.

I am trying to understand what a middle Ordinate is in terms of geometry (I know it has a versine along a chord).Given the diagram below:-

mid ort.jpg

The Blue line is an arc of some radius.

AB & CB are both tangent to the arc and intersect at point B.

AD is 90 Degrees to AB

CB is 90 Degrees to CD

My question is if i drew a line from D to B will that line intersect AC at exactly half its length i.e. at AC/2.

If this is correct then will the length of line EF be its longest when line DB intersects AC at exactly half its length.

I believe that line DB will Always intersect AC at half its distance because AD and CD are the same length making an isosceles triangle.

I also believe that the line EF will be its longest when measured exactly half way along line AC but I cannot prove it.

I was hoping someone could shed some light.

Thank you all.

Attachments

• mid ort.jpg
    mid ort.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 783
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Your diagram has some unstated assumptions. Consider the case of a non-square rectangle for example. You can draw an arc "of some radius" through diagonal corners but it won't be symmetric, nor will it be tangent to the sides. Consider the picture below which is clearly a counter example (the brown segments are equal and perpendicular at the corners.

GeomExample.png

However if you add to your listed assumptions that AB and CB are tangent to the arc then necessarily D is the center of the arc's circle (the lines through AD and CD must pass through the center since they are orthogonal to the tangents at points of tangency.) That makes the sides AD and CD radii and thus equal. That gives you the symmetry by which your conclusion can be shown to be true.

Attachments

• GeomExample.png
    GeomExample.png
    3.3 KB · Views: 434
@jambaugh: We know that these are tangents.E will always be in the middle of AC, and D is always the center of the circle, which means DF is the radius of the circle. For a constant radius, EF is maximal if DE is minimal, which means the arc between A and C should be as long as possible (but smaller than half the circle to avoid undefined situations or negative lengths).

1. What is a middle ordinate in geometry?

A middle ordinate is a line segment that connects the midpoint of an arc to the midpoint of the chord of that arc. It is commonly used in geometry to find the height of a segment or the radius of a circle.

2. How is a middle ordinate calculated?

A middle ordinate can be calculated by finding the difference between the arc length and the chord length, then dividing that value by two. It can also be calculated using trigonometric functions.

3. What is the importance of understanding middle ordinate in geometry?

Understanding middle ordinate in geometry is important because it allows us to find the height or radius of a circle, which is useful in many real-world applications. It also helps in understanding and solving more complex geometric problems.

4. How is middle ordinate related to the Pythagorean theorem?

The middle ordinate is related to the Pythagorean theorem through the right triangle formed by the chord, the middle ordinate, and the radius of the circle. The Pythagorean theorem states that the square of the length of the hypotenuse (in this case, the radius) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides (the chord and the middle ordinate).

5. Can a middle ordinate be greater than the radius of the circle?

Yes, a middle ordinate can be greater than the radius of the circle. This occurs when the chord is shorter than the radius, causing the middle ordinate to be longer. In this case, the middle ordinate is also known as the sagitta, and it is still used to find the height of the segment or the radius of the circle.