Solve Exercise 1.6 in Greenberg's Euclidean Geometry: Betweenness and Lying On

In summary, the conversation discusses various definitions and postulates related to Euclidean and non-Euclidean geometries, including undefined terms such as point, line, lie on, between, and congruent. The main problem being discussed is how to prove that a point lying between two other points must also lie on the line segment connecting those points. There is some confusion over whether the concept of "betweenness" automatically includes the idea of lying on the segment. One interpretation is that "betweenness" could refer to the positioning of a point on a coordinate plane, while another interpretation suggests that all points between two given points must lie on the segment connecting them. Further clarification is needed to fully understand the problem.
Ackbach
Gold Member
MHB
Exercise 1.6 in Greenberg's Euclidean and Non-Euclidean Geometries: "Betweenness" and "Lying On"

Undefined terms: point, line, lie on, between, and congruent.

Postulate I. For every point $P$ and for every point $A$ not equal to $P$ there exists a unique line $\ell$ that passes through $P$ and $Q$. $\ell=\overset{\longleftrightarrow}{PQ}$.

Definition I (Segment, Endpoints). Given two points $A$ and $B$. The segment $AB$ is the set whose members are the points $A$ and $B$ and all points that lie on the line $\overset{\longleftrightarrow}{AB}$ and are between $A$ and $B$. The two given points $A$ and $B$ are called the endpoints of the segment $AB$.

Postulate II (Segment Extension). For every segment $AB$ and for every segment $CD$ there exists a unique point $E$ on $\overset{\longleftrightarrow}{AB}$ such that $B$ is between $A$ and $E$ and segment $CD$ is congruent to segment $BE$.

Definition II (Circle, Radius, Center). Given two points $O$ and $A$. The set of all points $P$ such that segment $OP$ is congruent to segment $OA$ is called a circle with $O$ as center, and each of the segments $OP$ is called a radius of the circle.

Postulate III (Existence of Circles). For every point $O$ and every point $A$ not equal to $O$ there exists a circle with center $O$ and radius $OA$.

Definition III (Ray, Emanate, Vertex, Part). The ray $\overset{\longrightarrow}{AB}$ is the following set of points lying on the line $\overset{\longleftrightarrow}{AB}$: those points that belong to the segment $AB$ and all points $C$ on $\overset{\longleftrightarrow}{AB}$ such that $B$ is between $A$ and $C$. The ray $\overset{\longrightarrow}{AB}$ is said to emanate from the vertex $A$ and to be part of line $\overset{\longleftrightarrow}{AB}$.

Definition IV (Opposite Rays). Rays $\overset{\longrightarrow}{AB}$ and $\overset{\longrightarrow}{AC}$ are opposite if they are distinct, if they emanate from the same point $A$, and if they are part of the same line $\overset{\longleftrightarrow}{AB}=\overset{\longleftrightarrow}{AC}$.

Definition V (Angle, Vertex, Sides). An angle with vertex $A$ is a point $A$ together with two distinct nonopposite rays $\overset{\longrightarrow}{AB}$ and $\overset{\longrightarrow}{AC}$ (called the sides of the angle) emanating from $A$. Notations: $\sphericalangle A, \; \sphericalangle BAC, \; \sphericalangle CAB$.

Definition VI (Supplementary Angles). If two angles $\sphericalangle BAD$ and $\sphericalangle CAD$ have a common side $\overset{\longrightarrow}{AD}$ and the other two sides $\overset{\longrightarrow}{AB}$ and $\overset{\longrightarrow}{AC}$ form opposite rays, the angles are supplements of each other, or supplementary angles.

Definition VIII (Right Angle). An angle $\sphericalangle BAD$ is a right angle if it has a supplementary angle to which it is congruent.

Postulate IV (Congruence of Right Angles). All right angles are congruent to each other.

Definition VIII (Parallel Lines). Two lines $\ell$ and $m$ are parallel if they do not intersect; i.e., if no point lies on both of them. We denote this by $\ell \| m$.

Euclidean Parallel Postulate (Playfair's Axiom). For every line $\ell$ and for every point $P$ that does not lie on $\ell$ there exists a unique line $m$ through $P$ that is parallel to $\ell$.

Definition (Perpendicular Lines). Two lines $\ell$ and $m$ are perpendicular if they intersect at a point $A$ and if there is a ray $\overset{\longrightarrow}{AB}$ that is a part of $\ell$ and a ray $\overset{\longrightarrow}{AC}$ that is a part of $m$ such that $\sphericalangle BAC$ is a right angle. We denote this by $\ell \perp m$.

So much for the definitions and postulates. The problem statement is the following (part a): Given two points $A$ and $B$ and a third point $C$ between them. Can you think of any way to prove from the postulates that $C$ lies on line $\overset{\longleftrightarrow}{AB}$?

My issue is that the concept of "betweenness", being undefined, does not seem inherently to include the idea of lying on the segment. That is, suppose $C$ is "between" $A$ and $B$. Nowhere in these definitions and postulates does it seem to be implied that $C$ must lie on segment $AB$. I feel like I'm missing something basic here. Any ideas?

If "betweenness" automatically includes the concept of lying on the segment, then I could prove as follows:

By definition, $C$ is on segment $AB$. By Postulate I, there is a unique line $\ell$ on $A$ and $B$, and $\ell=\overset{\longleftrightarrow}{AB}$. By definition, all points in $AB$ lie on $\ell$, hence $C$ lies on $\ell$. Quod Erat Demonstrandum.

Is this all that's being asked?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I am likewise confused. For example, if we were to imagine the real vector space $\Bbb R^2$ as a model for these axioms, it could conceivably be that $C$ being "between" $A$ and $B$ meant that the $x$-coordinate of $C$ lay between the $x$-coordinate of $A$ and the $x$-coordinate of $B$. Of course this makes "vertical segments" all lines, but that doesn't seem inconsistent with the definitions, as given.

One gets a slightly unusual geometry with this interpretation: vertical rays are also lines, and vertical rays can never be "opposite" since every point on the line is "between" any two points on it. I suspect this can be modified to be a model of the projective plane (or perhaps the projective line-a circle, and a cartesian product with the line; that is, a tube), but the exact details escape me.

This interpretation is not *that* far-fetched, being a normal way we actually determine "betweeness" using the injectiveness of a linear function (vertical lines aren't functions).

Perhaps Definition I is meant to imply that the ONLY points between A and B lie on the line segment AB, but it stops somewhat short of saying that.

Related to Solve Exercise 1.6 in Greenberg's Euclidean Geometry: Betweenness and Lying On

What is the definition of betweenness in Euclidean geometry?

Betweenness is a relationship between three points on a line, where one point is located between the other two points. This means that the three points must be collinear, or lie on the same line.

How is betweenness used in solving Exercise 1.6 in Greenberg's Euclidean Geometry?

In Exercise 1.6, betweenness is used to prove that two points are collinear, or lie on the same line. This is done by first assuming that the two points are not collinear, and then using the axioms of Euclidean geometry to show that this assumption leads to a contradiction. Therefore, the original assumption must be false and the two points must be collinear.

What is the process for proving betweenness using the axioms of Euclidean geometry?

To prove betweenness using the axioms of Euclidean geometry, one must first assume that the three points are collinear. Then, using the axioms of betweenness and equality, one can show that the three points must satisfy the definition of betweenness. If any of the axioms are violated, then the assumption of betweenness is false.

What is the difference between betweenness and lying on in Euclidean geometry?

Betweenness and lying on are two different relationships between points in Euclidean geometry. Betweenness refers to the relationship between three points, where one point lies between the other two on a line. Lying on, on the other hand, refers to the relationship between two points, where both points lie on the same line.

How can betweenness be applied in real-world situations?

Betweenness can be applied in real-world situations to determine the position of objects or people in relation to each other on a line. For example, betweenness can be used in surveying land to determine the location of a point between two known points. It can also be used in navigation to determine the position of a ship between two landmarks.