Understanding an Approximation in Statistical Physics

In summary, the given equation in a book states that for a box with volume V and N particles with radius w, each thought as hard spheres, the expression (V - aw)(V - (N-a)w) is approximately equal to (V - Nw/2)^2 for a value of a between 1 and N-1. This can be seen by expanding both expressions and noting that they are the same to first order in w. The factor of 1/2 in the latter expression can be understood by multiplying out the bracket and recognizing that N^2w^2/4 is equivalent to O(w^2).
Arman777
Insights Author
Gold Member
In a book that I am reading it says

$$(V - aw)(V - (N-a)w) \approx (V - Nw/2)^2$$

Where ##V## is the volume of the box, ##N## is the number of the particles and ##w## is the radius of the particle, where each particle is thought as hard spheres.

for ##a = [1, N-1]##
But I don't understand how this can be possible ? Any ideas

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
\begin{align*}
(V - w)(V - (N-1)w) &= V^2 - wV - (N-1)wV + (N-1)w^2 \\

&= V^2 - NwV + O(w^2)
\end{align*}it is the same to first order in ##w##

Likes Arman777
etotheipi said:
\begin{align*}
(V - w)(V - (N-1)w) &= V^2 - wV - (N-1)wV + (N-1)w^2 \\

&= V^2 - NwV + O(w^2)
\end{align*}it is the same to first order in ##w##
Thanks for your answer, however it seems that I made a mistake while typing. Can you also look my answer and maybe change yours as well ?

the factor ##a## you inserted in the edit doesn't change anything, they are still the same to order ##w## :smile:

etotheipi said:
the factor ##a## you inserted in the edit doesn't change anything, they are still the same to order ##w## :smile:
I see but I still cannot understand where that ##1/2## comes I mean its strange. It seems like its just invented from 'nothing'

Arman777 said:
I see but I still cannot understand where that ##1/2## comes I mean its strange

##(V - \frac{Nw}{2})^2 = V^2 - NwV + \frac{N^2 w^2}{4}##
multiplying out bracket
and ##\frac{N^2 w^2}{4} = O(w^2)##

Likes Arman777
I guess I kind of understand..

What is an approximation in statistical physics?

An approximation in statistical physics is a simplified mathematical model used to describe the behavior of a physical system. It involves making assumptions and simplifications in order to solve complex problems and make predictions.

Why are approximations used in statistical physics?

Approximations are used in statistical physics because many physical systems are too complex to be solved exactly. By making approximations, we can still gain insights and make predictions about these systems without having to solve complicated equations.

What are the limitations of using approximations in statistical physics?

The main limitation of using approximations in statistical physics is that they may not accurately reflect the behavior of the real physical system. This is because approximations involve simplifications and assumptions, which may not always hold true in the real world.

How do scientists determine the validity of an approximation in statistical physics?

Scientists determine the validity of an approximation by comparing its predictions to experimental data or more accurate models. If the approximation produces results that are close to the actual observations, it is considered valid.

Can approximations be improved upon in statistical physics?

Yes, approximations can be improved upon in statistical physics. Scientists are constantly working to develop more accurate and precise approximations by incorporating more factors and reducing the number of assumptions made. However, there will always be a trade-off between accuracy and simplicity in any approximation.