Understanding Buckling: The Impact of Moments vs Applied Forces

  • Thread starter Thread starter roanoar
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Buckling Moment
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 4K views
roanoar
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
Can a moment about the end of something cause buckling or does it need to be an applied force?

For instance the uploaded image

Thanks!
 
Attachments
  • moment.png
    moment.png
    19.3 KB · Views: 494
Physics news on Phys.org
Although I do not know your end conditions from your drawing, a end applied moment cannot cause buckling. Buckling arise from the deflection equation E I y'' = M where M is proportional to the lateral deflection, y. In your problem, M, shown above, is just your end applied load and is never a function of the deflection.
 
No problem,

I thought I would reply with some additions. My colleague informed me that you can get localized buckling after the beam has deformed. Localized buckling means that it can kink at the edges.
 
I see. That does make sense. Would that lead to structural failure though?
 
I honestly don't know. I would suspect, however, that the failure criterion that you need to worry about is the bending stresses due to the deflection.