Column under a concentric axial load (Buckling)

In summary, the conversation discusses a cylindrical column under a concentric axial load and the resulting displacement caused by the load. The load is less than the critical buckling force according to Euler's formula, but there may still be displacement depending on certain factors such as eccentricity or imperfections in the column. If there is no eccentricity and the load is below the critical buckling load, there will be no displacement. However, if there is displacement, it can be calculated using the secant formula or other methods for more complex problems. Additionally, for short columns, the Euler formula may not be accurate and other resources should be consulted.
okinaw
Hi everyone,

I have a cylindrical column under a concentric axial load. The load which is applied in the column is less than the critical buckling force (according to Euler´s formula). Due to this load, the column suffers a displacement (buckling effect), and I would like to determine which is this displacement.

I hope you understand the question.

Thanks in advance,

Engineering news on Phys.org
I think I know what you mean but let's be certain . Please draw a diagram .

Thanks for your answer Nidum. I would try to be certain.

The column is fixed in both ends. The load on the column is applied through the center of gravity of its cross section. The applied load (F) is less than the critical buckling force, which is calculated by Eulers formula Fcr = (π^2* E*I) / (αL)^2, where
E = Young´s modulus
I = Area moment of inertia of the cross section,
L = length of column,
α = Column effective length factor.

Due to the applied force, the column suffers a displacement as it is shown in the diagram (d). ¿How can I calculate the displacement d?

buckling example.jpg

Simple answer is that if it doesn't buckle then there is no displacement .

More complete answer though is that it depends on eccentricity of the load . There is a value for this eccentricity above which the column could deflect like a simple beam without actually buckling .

Not always easy to analyse because eccentric loads can cause premature buckling or runaway deflection anyway but it is possible to find cases of stable deflection .

There are other situations where deflection can occur without buckling . These involve beams with initial curvatures and beams with lateral loads .

Generally in this type of problem look for any geometric or loads inputs that could cause an initial lateral beam deflection .

So, to summarize:

If there is no eccentricity and the applied load is less than critical buckling load, there is no displacement. Am I correct?

If a displacement happens, it is because there is an eccentricity and due to this eccentricity the column bends. In this case, the displacement would be calculate by the secant formula?

Thank you very much,

If there is no eccentricity and the applied load is less than critical buckling load, there is no displacement. Am I correct?

Yes .

If a displacement happens, it is because there is an eccentricity and due to this eccentricity the column bends. In this case, the displacement would be calculate by the secant formula?

Yes for simpler problems . More complex problems sometimes require other methods .

If no imperfections exist (eccentricity or other) and the load is below Euler's: zero displacement
If no imperfections exist and the load is equal or bigger than Euler's: there is displacement but you can't determine it with simple theory, you need to condider large displacement theories.

With imperfections present, you have displacements below Euler's load (actually from the beginning). Their magnitude depends on how close you are to the Euler load, the imperfection type and magnitude. They are not linear relative to load!

The OP has said nothing (that I saw) about the length of his column. The Euler formula is far too optimistic for short columns. Get a good mechanics of materials book or a machine design book and look up "short columns." I suspect this is where you have a problem.

1. What is buckling in relation to a column under a concentric axial load?

Buckling refers to the sudden failure or collapse of a structural element, such as a column, when subjected to an axial load. This is a result of the column's inability to withstand the compressive forces acting on it, causing it to buckle or bend out of shape.

2. How does the load affect the buckling of a column?

The magnitude of the axial load, also known as the critical load, directly affects the buckling of a column. As the load increases, the column becomes more unstable and is more likely to buckle. Conversely, reducing the load can help prevent buckling and maintain the structural integrity of the column.

3. What factors can influence the buckling of a column?

There are several factors that can influence the buckling of a column, including its material properties, length, cross-sectional area, and end conditions. For example, a column with a larger cross-sectional area will be less likely to buckle than a column with a smaller cross-sectional area under the same load.

4. How is the buckling load calculated for a column?

The buckling load can be calculated using the Euler's buckling formula, which takes into account the column's material properties, length, and end conditions. This formula gives the critical load at which the column will buckle, and any load greater than this will result in buckling.

5. How can buckling be prevented in a column under a concentric axial load?

Buckling can be prevented by designing the column to withstand the expected load using appropriate material and dimensions. The column can also be reinforced with additional support, such as bracing or increasing its cross-sectional area, to improve its stability and prevent buckling.