Understanding Chiral Symmetry in QCD for Heavy Ion Collisions

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
nf405
Messages
5
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



I'm doing a dissertation on heavy ion collisions and one of the things they look for in the collisions is chiral symmetry resolution - what is it?


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



I understand that it is a type of symmetry that is usually broken but QCD predicts that it shouldn't break at high energies (like in a heavy ion collision) just not sure what sort of symmetry it is - Is it that you can't tell the difference between our universe and a mirror image of our universe or something?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
nf405 said:

Homework Statement



I'm doing a dissertation on heavy ion collisions and one of the things they look for in the collisions is chiral symmetry resolution - what is it?


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



I understand that it is a type of symmetry that is usually broken but QCD predicts that it shouldn't break at high energies (like in a heavy ion collision) just not sure what sort of symmetry it is - Is it that you can't tell the difference between our universe and a mirror image of our universe or something?

No, it's a symmetry due to the fact that arises when the masses of the quarks can be set to zero (for example when the energies involved are very large). Depending on the situation, this can be done for the masses of up and dow or up,down and strange etc.

I would suggest that you ask the question in the high energy/particle physics forum to get more feedback.