Understanding Direction of Unit Vectors r roof & phi roof

In summary: Which is the same as:$$\frac{\partial}{\partial x} \vec r = r(\cos \phi(x+\Delta x)\,\hat i + \sin\phi(x+\Delta x)\,\hat j)$$If you differentiate that, you get:$$\frac{\partial}{\partial x} \vec r = r(\cos \phi(x+\Delta x)\,\hat i + \sin\phi(x+\Delta x)\,\hat j)$$Which is the same as:$$\frac{\partial}{\partial x} \vec r = r(\cos \phi(x+
Istiak
Homework Statement
Why angle direction is perpendicular?
Relevant Equations
vector
Screenshot from 2021-08-21 00-50-39.png

The unit vector r roof points in the direction of
increasing r with phi fixed; phi roof points in the direction of increasing phi
with r fixed. Unlike x roof, the vectors r roof and phi roof change as the position
vector r moves.
What I was thinking of the image is
Screenshot from 2021-08-21 01-15-23.png

Although, I was thinking why phi roof is perpendicular.
Screenshot from 2021-08-21 01-17-29.png
I was trying to understand that direction by the vector direction. I can't figure out that direction. Usually, I didn't do any vector of angle. I was wondering I didn't find any tutorial of angle direction in YT.

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the question exactly?

Start with ##\vec r = r(\cos \phi\,\hat i + \sin\phi\,\hat j)## and find the direction of ##\partial \vec r / \partial \phi##.

vela said:
Start with ##\vec r = r(\cos \phi\,\hat i + \sin\phi\,\hat j)## and find the direction of ##\partial \vec r / \partial \phi##.
If I differentiate that then, I get

$$\frac{\partial \vec r }{\partial \phi}=r (\cos \phi \hat j - \sin \phi \hat i)$$

But, I was thinking what I should do with the equation. 🤔

Istiakshovon said:

$$\frac{\partial \vec r }{\partial \phi}=r (\cos \phi \hat j - \sin \phi \hat i)$$

What happens if you take the dot product of that with ##\hat r##?

Istiakshovon said:

Show that vector is orthogonal to ##\vec r##

haruspex said:
What happens if you take the dot product of that with ##\hat r##?
$$\hat r \cdot \frac{\partial \vec r }{\partial \phi} = \hat r \frac{\partial \vec r }{\partial \phi} \cos \theta$$
$$=\hat r r (\cos \phi \hat j - \sin \phi \hat i) \cos \theta$$

• Wow
Likes PeroK
PeroK said:
Show that vector is orthogonal to ##\vec r##
How? :thinking Did you mean to graph?

Istiakshovon said:
How? :thinking Did you mean to graph?
You could use the dot product - correctly, of course.

Istiakshovon said:
$$\hat r \cdot \frac{\partial \vec r }{\partial \phi} = \hat r \frac{\partial \vec r }{\partial \phi} \cos \theta$$
$$=\hat r r (\cos \phi \hat j - \sin \phi \hat i) \cos \theta$$
That's an original approach to say the least!

PeroK said:
You could use the dot product - correctly, of course.
To me $$\hat r r$$ represents the direction of phi is toward r. But, I think $$(\cos \phi \hat j - \sin \phi \hat i) \cos \theta$$ this are representing direction of phi is perpendicular. But, I am saying that by looking at original picture. Without that, I can't say that. So, how can I see that that's really perpendicular. 🤔

Istiakshovon said:
To me $$\hat r r$$ represents the direction of phi is toward r. But, I think $$(\cos \phi \hat j - \sin \phi \hat i) \cos \theta$$ this are representing direction of phi is perpendicular. But, I am saying that by looking at original picture. Without that, I can't say that. So, how can I see that that's really perpendicular. 🤔
Note that it's either ##\phi## or ##\theta##, not both. Also, look up the dot product in Cartesian coordinates and note that:

vela said:
Start with ##\vec r = r(\cos \phi\,\hat i + \sin\phi\,\hat j)##
And
Istiakshovon said:

1. What is the purpose of using unit vectors in understanding direction?

Unit vectors are used to describe the direction of a vector in a coordinate system. They have a magnitude of 1 and are used to represent the direction of a vector without changing its length. This makes it easier to analyze and understand the direction of a vector in a given system.

2. How do you calculate the direction of a vector using unit vectors?

The direction of a vector can be calculated by taking the dot product of the vector with the unit vectors in the x, y, and z directions. This will give you the components of the vector in each direction, which can then be used to determine the direction of the vector in the given coordinate system.

3. What is the difference between r roof and phi roof in unit vectors?

R roof and phi roof are unit vectors used in polar coordinates. R roof represents the direction of the radius vector, while phi roof represents the direction of the angular displacement from the positive x-axis. Together, they describe the direction of a vector in a polar coordinate system.

4. How do you convert between Cartesian and polar coordinates using unit vectors?

To convert from Cartesian coordinates (x, y, z) to polar coordinates (r, θ, φ), you can use the following equations: r = √(x^2 + y^2 + z^2), θ = arccos(z/r), and φ = arctan(y/x). These equations use the unit vectors r roof and phi roof to determine the direction of the vector in the polar coordinate system.

5. Can unit vectors be used in three-dimensional space?

Yes, unit vectors can be used in three-dimensional space to describe the direction of a vector in a given coordinate system. In addition to the x, y, and z directions, a third unit vector, usually denoted as k cap, is used to represent the direction of the vector in the z direction. Together, these three unit vectors can describe the direction of a vector in three-dimensional space.