A vector F=Fz, where z is unit vector, expressed in sphereical coord.

In summary: No images, nothing. Can someone please explain how you can convert the unit vectors to spherical?Unless you can provide a more detailed explanation of what you did to convert the unit vectors to spherical, your answer is inconclusive.
renegade05

Homework Statement

So the full problem reads: A vector F has the same magnitude and direction at all points in space. Choose the z-axis parallel to F. Then , in Cartesian coordinates, [tex]\vec{F}=F\hat{z}[/tex], where [tex]\hat{z}[/tex] is the unit vector in the z direction. Express [tex]\vec{F}[/tex] in spherical coordinates.

Homework Equations

I don't know?

The Attempt at a Solution

Well pretty much it wants me to express this vector field that is parallel with the z-axis, which really means converting [tex]\hat{z}[/tex] to spherical coordinates.

I found the answer to be [tex]\hat{z} = cos(\phi)\hat{r}-sin(\phi)\hat{\phi}[/tex] through an online resource I really didn't understand. No images, nothing. Can someone please explain how you can convert the unit vectors to spherical?

And would the answer be [tex]\vec{F}=F\hat{z} = F(cos(\phi)\hat{r}-sin(\phi)\hat{\phi})[/tex]

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
renegade05 said:

Homework Statement

So the full problem reads: A vector F has the same magnitude and direction at all points in space. Choose the z-axis parallel to F. Then , in Cartesian coordinates, [tex]\vec{F}=F\hat{z}[/tex], where [tex]\hat{z}[/tex] is the unit vector in the z direction. Express [tex]\vec{F}[/tex] in spherical coordinates.

Homework Equations

I don't know?

The Attempt at a Solution

Well pretty much it wants me to express this vector field that is parallel with the z-axis, which really means converting [tex]\hat{z}[/tex] to spherical coordinates.

I found the answer to be [tex]\hat{z} = cos(\phi)\hat{r}-sin(\phi)\hat{\phi}[/tex] through an online resource I really didn't understand. No images, nothing. Can someone please explain how you can convert the unit vectors to spherical?

And would the answer be [tex]\vec{F}=F\hat{z} = F(cos(\phi)\hat{r}-sin(\phi)\hat{\phi})[/tex]

thanks!

Yes, you are done! resolving the Cartesian unite vector z into its spherical polar coordinates yields
[tex]\hat{z} = cos(\phi)\hat{r}-sin(\phi)\hat{\phi}[/tex]

you just need to substitute the above equation into the relation [tex]\vec{F}=F\hat{z}[/tex].

So: [tex]\vec{F}=F\hat{z} = F(cos(\phi)\hat{r}-sin(\phi)\hat{\phi})[/tex] is the answer?

But my question was if someone can explain why [tex]\hat{z}= cos(\phi)\hat{r}-sin(\phi)\hat{\phi}[/tex]

OK. but what's your background in math? Are you a physics student or ? I can refer you to the book Arfken where you'll find how to change the Cartesian coordinates into spherical polar ones.

PaulDirac said:
OK. but what's your background in math? Are you a physics student or ? I can refer you to the book Arfken where you'll find how to change the Cartesian coordinates into spherical polar ones.

physics student

See the picture. The unit vectors of the polar coordinates change with the position. At point P, ##\vec e_r## or ##\hat r## is the unit vector along the radial vector pointing to P from the origin. ##\vec e_Φ## or ##\hat Φ## is the unit vector perpendicular to ##\hat r## in the plane of the z axis and OP.

If you have a vector ##\vec F## at P, its projection onto the direction of the unit vectors are its components in polar coordinates.

ehild

Attachments

• polarcomp.JPG
    polarcomp.JPG
    13.8 KB · Views: 416
Yes, but just to harmonize this with future exploits, be aware that naming of spherical coordinates is almost always
##\theta## polar angle : ##\arccos (\hat z \cdot \hat r)##
##\phi## azimuthal angle : ##\arccos (\hat x \cdot \hat r)##
i.e. just the other way around. Better get used to that.

BvU said:
Yes, but just to harmonize this with future exploits, be aware that naming of spherical coordinates is almost always
##\theta## polar angle : ##\arccos (\hat z \cdot \hat r)##
##\phi## azimuthal angle : ##\arccos (\hat x \cdot \hat r)##
i.e. just the other way around. Better get used to that.

I would not say "almost always".

On the first page of Google results, Wiki and Hyperphysics and http://www.nyu.edu/classes/tuckerman/adv.chem/lectures/math_prelims/node12.html were pro, but the following were contra.

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/SphericalCoordinates.html

http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/CalcIII/SphericalCoords.aspx

http://www.geom.uiuc.edu/docs/reference/CRC-formulas/node42.html

The OP should us those notations as he was taught.

ehild

The OP should us those notations as he was taught
Fully agree. What triggered me is the
I found the answer to be dadada ... through an online resource I really didn't understand

1. What is a vector F=Fz in spherical coordinates?

A vector F=Fz in spherical coordinates is a vector with magnitude F and direction z in a three-dimensional coordinate system where the position of a point is defined by its distance from the origin, its polar angle, and its azimuthal angle.

2. What is the unit vector z in spherical coordinates?

The unit vector z in spherical coordinates represents the direction of the vector F=Fz and is defined as (0,0,1) in Cartesian coordinates. It points in the direction of the positive z-axis.

3. How is a vector F=Fz expressed in spherical coordinates?

A vector F=Fz in spherical coordinates is expressed using the notation (F, θ, φ), where F represents the magnitude of the vector, θ represents the polar angle, and φ represents the azimuthal angle.

4. What is the relationship between spherical coordinates and Cartesian coordinates?

Spherical coordinates and Cartesian coordinates are two different coordinate systems used to describe the position of a point in three-dimensional space. In spherical coordinates, a point is defined by its distance from the origin, its polar angle, and its azimuthal angle. In Cartesian coordinates, a point is defined by its distance from the x, y, and z axes.

5. How is a vector F=Fz converted from spherical coordinates to Cartesian coordinates?

To convert a vector F=Fz from spherical coordinates to Cartesian coordinates, the following equations can be used:

x = Fsinθcosφ

y = Fsinθsinφ

z = Fcosθ

These equations use the trigonometric functions sine and cosine to determine the x, y, and z components of the vector in Cartesian coordinates.