1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A vector F=Fz, where z is unit vector, expressed in sphereical coord.

1. Sep 11, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

So the full problem reads: A vector F has the same magnitude and direction at all points in space. Choose the z-axis parallel to F. Then , in Cartesian coordinates, [tex]\vec{F}=F\hat{z}[/tex], where [tex]\hat{z}[/tex] is the unit vector in the z direction. Express [tex]\vec{F}[/tex] in spherical coordinates.

2. Relevant equations

I don't know?

3. The attempt at a solution

Well pretty much it wants me to express this vector field that is parallel with the z-axis, which really means converting [tex]\hat{z}[/tex] to spherical coordinates.

I found the answer to be [tex]\hat{z} = cos(\phi)\hat{r}-sin(\phi)\hat{\phi}[/tex] through an online resource I really didn't understand. No images, nothing. Can someone please explain how you can convert the unit vectors to spherical?

And would the answer be [tex]\vec{F}=F\hat{z} = F(cos(\phi)\hat{r}-sin(\phi)\hat{\phi})[/tex]

thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2014 #2
    Yes, you are done! resolving the Cartesian unite vector z into its spherical polar coordinates yields
    [tex]\hat{z} = cos(\phi)\hat{r}-sin(\phi)\hat{\phi}[/tex]

you just need to substitute the above equation into the relation [tex]\vec{F}=F\hat{z}[/tex].

4. Sep 11, 2014 #3
    So: [tex]\vec{F}=F\hat{z} = F(cos(\phi)\hat{r}-sin(\phi)\hat{\phi})[/tex] is the answer?

But my question was if someone can explain why [tex]\hat{z}= cos(\phi)\hat{r}-sin(\phi)\hat{\phi}[/tex]

5. Sep 11, 2014 #4
    OK. but what's your background in math? Are you a physics student or ? I can refer you to the book Arfken where you'll find how to change the Cartesian coordinates into spherical polar ones.

6. Sep 11, 2014 #5
    physics student

7. Sep 11, 2014 #6

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

See the picture. The unit vectors of the polar coordinates change with the position. At point P, ##\vec e_r## or ##\hat r## is the unit vector along the radial vector pointing to P from the origin. ##\vec e_Φ## or ##\hat Φ## is the unit vector perpendicular to ##\hat r## in the plane of the z axis and OP.

If you have a vector ##\vec F## at P, its projection onto the direction of the unit vectors are its components in polar coordinates.

ehild

Attached Files:

8. Sep 11, 2014 #7

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, but just to harmonize this with future exploits, be aware that naming of spherical coordinates is almost always
    ##\theta## polar angle : ##\arccos (\hat z \cdot \hat r)##
    ##\phi## azimuthal angle : ##\arccos (\hat x \cdot \hat r)##
    i.e. just the other way around. Better get used to that.

9. Sep 11, 2014 #8

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I would not say "almost always".

On the first page of Google results, Wiki and Hyperphysics and http://www.nyu.edu/classes/tuckerman/adv.chem/lectures/math_prelims/node12.html were pro, but the following were contra.

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/SphericalCoordinates.html

http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/CalcIII/SphericalCoords.aspx

http://www.geom.uiuc.edu/docs/reference/CRC-formulas/node42.html

The OP should us those notations as he was taught.

ehild

10. Sep 11, 2014 #9

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Fully agree. What triggered me is the

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted