Understanding Frame Rates and Exposure Time in Video Capture

In summary: I don't understand your question.In summary, with a film motion picture camera, the film has to be advanced between frames. The shutter is closed while the film advances. It them opens for a time to expose the frame, and then closes to advance the film again.
Inwicta
So if i take a picture (for example) 30 fps camera. So my question is that: is the time in the picture 1 s \ 30 fps or is it just 0? (May be very stupid question)

Physics news on Phys.org
Inwicta said:
So if i take a picture (for example) 30 fps camera. So my question is that: is the time in the picture 1 s \ 30 fps or is it just 0? (May be very stupid question)
With film motion picture cameras, the film has to be advanced between frames. The shutter is closed while the film advances. It them opens for a time to expose the frame, and then closes to advance the film again. (EDIT -- Source = wikipedia)

The simplest cameras would open the shutter for about half of the frame time, and close it for the other half to advance the film. More advanced cameras may have more control over the shutter opening time.

Are you asking more about film cameras, or solid-state cameras? :smile:

Well i got this idea just 30 minutes ago when i got my gopro back. so film camera

berkeman said:
With film motion picture cameras, the film has to be advanced between frames. The shutter is closed while the film advances. It them opens for a time to expose the frame, and then closes to advance the film again. (EDIT -- Source = wikipedia)

The simplest cameras would open the shutter for about half of the frame time, and close it for the other half to advance the film. More advanced cameras may have more control over the shutter opening time.

Sorry forgot the quote^^

berkeman said:
Inwicta said:
Well i got this idea just 30 minutes ago when i got my gopro back. so film camera
That's a solid state digital camera. It doesn't use a film. The exposure time can vary, for example depend on the amount of available light.

Inwicta said:

Lets go back to the start
you said take a picture ... then say 30fps
that's a contradiction ... did you take a single pic with some arbitrary setting or a bit of video @ 30fps ?

the exposure time of a single image will be whatever you set it to be
the exposure time for the video is fixed, each frame is 1/30 th of a secDave

A.T. said:
That's a solid state digital camera. It doesn't use a film

indeed

A.T. said:
The exposure time can vary, for example depend on the amount of available light.

if used for taking still frames, not for video modeDave

The frame rate does, however, set the maximum possible shutter speed.

For my astrophotos, I often set a frame rate based on the shutter speed. For Jupiter, I can set 30fps or even 60fps, with very short exposures. For Saturn (dimmer, further away), I'll set it lower (perhaps 7.5 or 15 fps) and set somewhat longer shutter speeds.

davenn said:
hmmmm .. ok, appears that I have been lead astray again :rolleyes::rolleyes:
Note that not every camera gives you direct control of shutter speed in video mode. But you can easily see, that the full frame duration is not always used for exposure: Film a very fast object (which smears out) and overlay two subsequent frames: The combined smear of two frames usually has a gap, indicating the time of non exposure.

Likes davenn
davenn said:
Lets go back to the start
you said take a picture ... then say 30fps
that's a contradiction ... did you take a single pic with some arbitrary setting or a bit of video @ 30fps ?

the exposure time of a single image will be whatever you set it to be
the exposure time for the video is fixed, each frame is 1/30 th of a secDave
I took a video with 30 fps and thank you

Inwicta said:
I took a video with 30 fps and thank you

The blurring of your personal movement perception acts on top of the effects of blurring with long camera exposure times.
The maximum exposure time will be 1/30s but you will get better motion portrayal if a shutter is used, to reduce the exposure time of each frame. Ideal time samples are short impulses and not a blurred frame image, which is why low light sequences may not look so good as well lit sequences. Frame rate conversion is also much better if a shutter is used to get short frame samples. A shutter shutter time is also essential if you want to use a wide lens aperture (for shallow focussing effects) in bright conditions.
Modern sensors perform much better than film and short shutter times are, I believe, more available to digital filming than for chemical filming because ISO numbers can be extremely high in modern sensors.

Inwicta said:
Here is what a fast spinning propeller can look like in two consecutive frames of a video overlaid. Note that the smeared green & red markings are on one blade only, so the two green arcs represent the same object, in two consecutive frames:

?temp_hash=5c703719998c514746463077beda4f22.png

As you see the exposure time (time captured in each picture) is not the full frame duration (1/30s), but only about 75% of it. This fraction can vary, depending on what the camera chooses based on available light or your manual settings.

Attachments

• video_exposure_time.png
    video_exposure_time.png
    36.8 KB · Views: 731
Last edited:
Likes sophiecentaur
A.T. said:
Here is what a fast spinning propeller can look like in two consecutive frames of a video:

?temp_hash=5c703719998c514746463077beda4f22.png

As you see the exposure time (time captured in each picture) is not the full frame duration (1/30s), but only about 75% of it. This fraction can vary, depending on what the camera chooses based on available light or your manual settings.
I see thanks for the pictures for clearification! (Im visual person) and i think my gopro doesn't use any kind of flashes etc.

1. What is the significance of a 30 fps camera?

A 30 fps (frames per second) camera is capable of capturing and recording 30 individual frames per second, resulting in a smoother and more fluid video playback compared to lower fps cameras.

2. How does frame rate affect the quality of a video?

The higher the frame rate, the more individual frames are captured and recorded per second, resulting in a smoother and more detailed video quality. However, a higher frame rate also requires more storage space and processing power.

3. Can I convert a video from 30 fps to a lower frame rate?

Yes, it is possible to convert a video from 30 fps to a lower frame rate. However, the quality of the video may be affected and there may be noticeable differences in the smoothness and fluidity of the video playback.

4. Is a 30 fps camera ideal for all types of videos?

A 30 fps camera is suitable for most types of videos, such as live events, vlogs, and documentaries. However, for fast-paced and action-packed videos, a higher frame rate camera (60 fps or higher) may be more suitable to capture all the details and movements accurately.

5. How does frame rate affect slow motion videos?

The higher the frame rate, the more frames are captured per second, resulting in a smoother and more detailed slow motion video. A 30 fps camera may not be suitable for slow motion videos as it may not capture enough frames to create a smooth and fluid slow motion effect. A higher frame rate camera (120 fps or higher) is recommended for slow motion videos.