Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Latest high frame rate consumer priced video cameras?

Tags:
  1. Mar 24, 2013 #1
    I'd like to get images at a frequency of at least 100 frames/sec to measure servo arm speeds (including acceleration from rest) under various torque loads. This is for personal research associated with RC helicopter accessories, but as a high school physics teacher it seems it would be good for falling objects etc. There are GoPro cameras that do this, a new Sony (about 120 fps) and a new series of Casio cameras (e.g Casio Exlilm EX-ZR200) that do very high frame rates. It is understood that at the highest rates resolution is reduced, and high light levels are needed, but neither of these are necessarily a problem in my application.
    I have been recommended the Gopro hero black edition but this seems quite expensive in that it is designed for waterproof helmet-cam use and and I don't need that robustness.

Has anyone experience with the latest cameras of this type for this application?

Edit: Another option: I could use a laptop-tethered camera. Are there high frame rate webcam-type units?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2013 #2
    Moving to Photography

4. Mar 30, 2013 #3
    The Samsung Galaxy Camera can film at 120 fps. Here is a review

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook