Understanding Motion Diagrams: Negative vs. Positive Acceleration

In summary, the two diagrams attached display different types of acceleration, with diagram A showing negative acceleration and diagram B showing positive acceleration. The direction of acceleration is important, as it determines whether the object is speeding up or slowing down. The question posed is not answered and the possibility of flipping diagram B is brought up.
Nitrate

Homework Statement

The problem is in the attached image

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand that the diagram of A is displaying negative acceleration and the diagram of B is displaying positive acceleration. However, I am struggling to find an answer for the question. I'm also wondering if the diagram of B can be flipped around and still represent the same thing. I am admittedly not the best physics student and any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
attached image (as i forgot to post it in the previous post)

Attachments

• physics.png
    physics.png
    48.6 KB · Views: 445
Nitrate said:
diagram of B is displaying positive acceleration.
Acceleration is a vector, it has direction. negative acceleration is not the same as slowing down.

What is a motion diagram?

A motion diagram is a visual representation of the motion of an object over a certain period of time. It shows the position of the object at different points in time, usually through the use of dots or arrows on a coordinate grid.

How is a motion diagram different from a position-time graph?

A motion diagram is a series of individual frames that show the position of an object at specific points in time, while a position-time graph shows the overall motion of the object over a continuous period of time. Motion diagrams provide a more detailed and visual representation of an object's motion, while position-time graphs provide a more quantitative representation.

What information can be determined from a motion diagram?

A motion diagram can provide information about an object's velocity, acceleration, and position at different points in time. It can also show the direction and magnitude of an object's motion.

How can a motion diagram be used to analyze motion?

By looking at the position of an object at different points in time on a motion diagram, we can determine if the object is moving at a constant speed, accelerating, or at rest. We can also use the diagram to calculate the object's velocity and acceleration.

What types of motion can be represented on a motion diagram?

A motion diagram can represent any type of motion, including linear, circular, and projectile motion. It can also show the motion of multiple objects, such as in collisions or interactions between objects.