1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fluids - Pascal's Principle / Negative vs Positive

1. Dec 9, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The handle of a hydraulic jack is 15 cm long and is pivoted 2.5 cm from the input piston which has a radius of 0.60 cm. The output piston has a radius of 1.2 cm. What weight could be lifted by the jack if the person pushing on the handle is to exert no more than 110 N of force?

http://edugen.wiley.com/edugen/courses/crs2216/cutnell3550/ssg/cutnell3255c11/image_n/nw0002-y.jpg

3. The attempt at a solution

Silly question...I doubt I'm right, as I'm hardly an authority to go up against a text book. But that being said...

I'm confused as to why the textbook (Cutnell & Johnson Physics Study Guide 7th ed.) says that F is positive when F1 is negative? They're both pointing down...so...aren't they both negative??? F2 is positive and pointing upwards, that makes sense. But why F is also positive completely eludes me...

Am I missing something completely obvious?

On a side note - I hope I'm not violating any copyright laws by posting that diagram. I just want the answer, not a prison term!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2009 #2
    Any thoughts?

4. Dec 10, 2009 #3

stewartcs

Science Advisor

Perhaps they are summing the moments about the hinge in order to determine the force F1. So maybe they chose the + moment in the CCW direction (making F x d positive). Then the reaction at F1 (F1 x (d-2.5)) would be negative since it would cause a CW rotation.

Just a thought.

CS

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook