Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Understanding of double silts experiment

1. Jan 2, 2009 #1
    I was been told in some condition,a isolated system has alots of quantum states,and will be judge only when its been observed.I am really confused about it.what is actual meanning of "been observed"?In double silts experiment,when we put a detector to detect how many electrons have been through one of the slit,then the pattern will missing.So seems like the detector affected our experiment in someway,in this case the detector become the observer(in my understanding,its because we can read the system from the detector).
    My question is:what if in the double slits experiment,there is a superman who are able to see clearly and count how many electrons have been go through the slits,will that superman see the pattern and so does a normal person?basicly,i just make that superman instead of the detector.
    I wonder before we put the detector,we could see the pattern,and in public understanding we wouldnt be able to (and didnt)observe how many electrons have been go through the slit,so the slits was in a isolated case,and when a electron meet the slits,it will be in a case of has alots of quantum states.But i think,although we didnt have an idea of how does the electron go through the slits in our mind,and the experiment has been indeed affected us,and it has been "observed" by us,we can feel it in some way our mind couldnt detect it.(suppose our human only have 5 limit senses).So if we say so,we shouldnt see the pattern even if we didnt put a detector.

If my english bring any difficulty of understanding,i do apologize.
    Thanks in advance for anyone who can give me some ideas and also for those who join the discussion.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 2, 2009 #2

Homework Helper

There is an entry in the PF "Library" called wave-particle duality (which you can get to via the link) that you might find helpful. Also, a book for the layman about quantum mechanics that goes into some of the more philosophical issues (that we physicists have grown to regard as quite boring) is called "Quantum Reality" by Nick Hurbert (might be spelled Herbert, I can't remember). Also, if you are really interested in Quantum Mechanics I would suggest getting the book "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by Griffiths. Cheers.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?