Understanding of electrochemistry

  • Thread starter jaredmt
  • Start date
  • #1
122
0

Main Question or Discussion Point

just wondering. i remember once i had a battery, some change, and my keys in my pocket and eventually i reallized the battery got really really hot. just for the heck of it i tried to get that to happen again and it didnt work. can someone explain why this happenned before?

i tried putting a penny on the - end and connected it to the + end with my keys. and i tried it the other way around too but didnt work. i guess my keys are made of zinc and copper.

edit: or would this just take a long time? cus i dont feel like sitting there for 2 hours. i was just trying to further my understanding of electrochemistry
 
Last edited:

Answers and Replies

  • #2
Borek
Mentor
28,328
2,716
Short circuit is a key word here.
 
  • #3
Redbelly98
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
12,098
129
If you make a connected path of metal between the + and - terminals, that's a short circuit and the battery will heat up noticeably. Probably within a half a minute. If that does not happen, either the connection was broken somewhere or possibly the battery is already dead.
 
  • #4
122
0
ok i tried it again with a paperclip and it worked in like a few seconds. is it possible to create a fire with a battery and paperclip?
 
  • #5
122
0

Related Threads for: Understanding of electrochemistry

  • Last Post
Replies
4
Views
1K
  • Last Post
Replies
4
Views
1K
  • Last Post
Replies
6
Views
1K
  • Last Post
Replies
5
Views
6K
  • Last Post
Replies
5
Views
2K
  • Last Post
Replies
5
Views
2K
  • Last Post
Replies
15
Views
2K
Replies
5
Views
731
Top