Understanding parallel transport (Gen Rel)

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of parallel transport of vectors on a smooth manifold M. The question is whether the two vectors at the end point, obtained by parallelly transporting a vector v at the start point down two different curves \gamma_{1} and \gamma_{2}, will be the same or different. The answer is that it depends on the curve, as demonstrated by the example of moving vectors on great circles on a sphere. The process of parallel transport is not clearly defined, but on geodesics it likely means maintaining a constant angle with respect to the curve tangent. The speaker also brings up the idea of infinitesimal parallel transport vs. transport along an entire curve.
Onamor

Homework Statement

If I have a two curves [tex]\gamma_{1}, \gamma_{2}[/tex] with the same start and end points, lying on a smooth manifold [tex]M[/tex]. For a vector [tex]v[/tex] at the "start" point, if I parallelly transport down both curves to the "end" point, will the two vectors at the "end" be different or the same?

Not a very formal question, but I'm very shakey on what parallell transport actually means.

Homework Equations

A vector [tex]v^{i}[/tex] is said to be parallelly transported from the point [tex]x^{k}[/tex] to a vector [tex]v^{i}+dv^{i}[/tex] at the point [tex]x^{i}+dx^{i}[/tex] if [tex]dv^{i}=\Gamma_{kj}^{i}v^{j}dx^{k}[/tex]
where [tex]\Gamma_{kj}^{i}[/tex] are the Christoffel symbols/Connection.

(this is out of my notes - I don't see why the "starting" point should be [tex]x^{k}[/tex] and not [tex]x^{i}[/tex] though.)

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the answer is "yes" - it does matter which curve is chosen because, as I understand it, this difference is what gives rise to the Riemann Curvature tensor.

As I said what exactly it means to "parallelly transport" a vector is not clear to me - is it that the "final" vector will be parallel to the "starting" vector?

Also, the above description I give of parallel transport looks as if it is only "effective" (perhaps "holds" is a better word) over the infinitesimal distance [tex]dx^{i}[/tex], and not over an entire curve - is this correct?

Thank you kindly for any help, please let me know if i can be more specific.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it does depend on the curve. Try moving vectors around on great circles of the sphere. Move one from the pole to the equator, move around the equator by 90 degrees and then back to the pole. On great circles (geodesics) parallel transport probably means exactly what you might think. I.e. maintain a constant angle with respect to the curve tangent. Did it change when you came back to the pole?

What is parallel transport in general relativity?

Parallel transport in general relativity refers to the concept of moving a vector or tensor along a curved path in space-time without changing its direction. This is necessary in general relativity because space-time is curved and traditional Euclidean geometry does not apply.

What does parallel transport have to do with general relativity?

In general relativity, space-time is described as a four-dimensional curved manifold. This means that the laws of physics and geometry are different from those in Euclidean space. Parallel transport allows us to move vectors and tensors along this curved space-time without changing their direction, allowing us to calculate things like geodesics and curvature.

How is parallel transport different from regular transport?

The main difference between parallel transport and regular transport is that parallel transport takes into account the curvature of space-time, while regular transport uses Euclidean geometry. In parallel transport, the direction of the vector or tensor is maintained, while in regular transport, the direction can change due to the curvature of space-time.

Why is parallel transport important in general relativity?

Parallel transport is important in general relativity because it allows us to understand how objects move in curved space-time. It is also necessary for calculating things like geodesics and curvature, which are essential for understanding the behavior of matter and energy in the universe.

How is parallel transport used in practical applications?

Parallel transport has practical applications in various fields, such as astrophysics and navigation. In astrophysics, parallel transport is used to calculate the trajectories of celestial objects such as planets and stars. In navigation, parallel transport is used to calculate the shortest path between two points on a curved surface, such as the Earth's surface, taking into account the curvature of the surface.