Understanding physics conceptually

In summary: There are also many books available with physics experiments that can be done with household items or easily accessible materials.In summary, the conversation discusses the two ways to understand physics - conceptually and numerically. It is mentioned that having knowledge of numerical problems does not necessarily mean understanding physics conceptually. The conversation also suggests ways to build a conceptual understanding of physics, such as doing experiments and solving problems in two different ways (conceptually and numerically). The importance of checking for errors and making sure answers make sense conceptually is also emphasized. Resources for simple physics experiments are also mentioned.
gimak
Hello all,

My physics teacher told me that there are two ways to understand physics: conceptually and numerically (doing physics problems based on math). He told me that knowing how to do numerical problems doesn't mean you understand physics conceptually.

Is this true? If so, how do I understand physics conceptually?

sorry if this is posted on the wrong side of the forum

Physics news on Phys.org
Somewhat - physical intuition (being able to determine if something makes sense our what something should look like) takes time to build. Also, some problems will ask you things like calculate the speed of a ball after it has fallen from a building for 3 seconds. There are plug and chug formulas for these problems. Do it is possible to input without understanding.

other ways

Alright, thanks. It looks like I'm on the right track. Can someone tell me of other ways to build a conceptual understanding of physics besides doing problems?

Thanks

Drink some coffee and do more problems.

I think it can be productive to think about concepts apart from doing problems. I learn subjects by coming up with a pseudo-history of how they might have been invented. It can also be fruitful to ask why such and such result is important or would it be true if I dropped this assumption or that assumption.

As far as problems go, there's not just one way of doing problems. For example, Wheeler has a "moral principle" that you shouldn't calculate until you already know what's going to happen. You can also try to think about what the point was and what you should take away after you finish a problem.

gimak said:
Alright, thanks. It looks like I'm on the right track. Can someone tell me of other ways to build a conceptual understanding of physics besides doing problems?

Thanks

How about doing experiments? For a lot of physical experiments, you don't need a fancy lab or a lot of shiny equipment. After all, the only thing Newton had was his mind and an apple tree, so the story goes.

As the great applied physicist Yogi Berra explained, "You can observe a lot by watching." and, to paraphrase him, "Physics is 90% mental; the other half is experiments." :biggrin:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yogi_Berra

SteamKing said:
How about doing experiments? For a lot of physical experiments, you don't need a fancy lab or a lot of shiny equipment. After all, the only thing Newton had was his mind and an apple tree, so the story goes.

As the great applied physicist Yogi Berra explained, "You can observe a lot by watching." and, to paraphrase him, "Physics is 90% mental; the other half is experiments." :biggrin:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yogi_Berra

Interesting. Is there any website that has list of experiments one can do with an introductory physics background?

Basically, you should do every problem in two different ways. First, you should use conceptual physics to form a reasonable "guess" about what the answer will be. Second, you should use numerical physics to calculate a more precise answer. If your numerical result is different from what you think it should be conceptually (e.g., your answer is negative, but you expect it to be positive), then you need to either go back and fix your calculation or you need to fix your conceptual model.

By doing it two ways, you're a lot more likely to catch and fix errors, which will improve both your course grades and your actual physics ability. People who aren't good at conceptual physics tend to grind through a calculation and just trust the result. They complain about how they always lose marks for making silly little mistakes, but most of those silly mistakes would probably have been caught if they had taken a few seconds to check whether their answers made sense conceptually.

question for lazer

So, basically you mean this:

Let's say that you're examining what the initial height of the ball was when it was falling due to gravity. What happens to it. Initially, it has potential energy. As it falls, that potential energy turns into kinetic until all the energy right before it hits the ground is kinetic.

Now for the numerical part: PE(initial) + KE(initial) = PE(final) + KE(final). Skipping over some steps, you'd get: mgh=.5mv^2. Now, do algebra and solve for h.

Is this what you mean by conceptual first, numerical second?

question for lazer

So, basically you (thegreenlazer) mean this:

Let's say that you're examining what the initial height of the ball was when it was falling due to gravity. What happens to it. Initially, it has potential energy. As it falls, that potential energy turns into kinetic until all the energy right before it hits the ground is kinetic.

Now for the numerical part: PE(initial) + KE(initial) = PE(final) + KE(final). Skipping over some steps, you'd get: mgh=.5mv^2. Now, do algebra and solve for h.

Is this what you mean by conceptual first, numerical second?

TitoSmooth said:
Interesting. Is there any website that has list of experiments one can do with an introductory physics background?

Google "simple physics experiments" and take your pick.

What is physics?

Physics is the branch of science that deals with the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. It is concerned with understanding the fundamental laws and principles that govern the universe.

Why is it important to understand physics conceptually?

Understanding physics conceptually allows us to better comprehend the natural world and how it works. It also helps us to make connections between different phenomena and to solve complex problems.

What are some common misconceptions about physics?

Some common misconceptions about physics include the idea that it only deals with complex mathematical equations, or that it only applies to the study of space and astronomy. In reality, physics is a broad field that encompasses many different topics and can be understood without extensive mathematical knowledge.

How can one improve their conceptual understanding of physics?

One way to improve conceptual understanding of physics is through hands-on experimentation and observation. This allows for a deeper understanding of the underlying principles and their real-world applications. Additionally, seeking out resources such as videos, diagrams, and interactive simulations can help to visualize and solidify concepts.

What are some real-world applications of physics?

Physics has countless real-world applications, from the functioning of everyday objects such as cars and computers, to the development of advanced technologies like renewable energy sources and medical imaging devices. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the natural world and the universe.