Understanding Radial Flow in Porous Media: Darcy's Law and Pressure Distribution

  • Thread starter Thread starter cruckshank
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Flow
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
cruckshank
Messages
17
Reaction score
0
Homework posted in wrong forum, so no template
I've never done a question similar to this one, and I've found myself stuck on it for a while now. I was hoping for some guidance on where to begin, because I truly have no idea:

An incompressible fluid flows through a porous cylindrical shell with inner and outer radii R1 and R2, respectively under steady state conditions. At these surfaces, the pressures are known to be p1 and p2 respectively. The length of the cylindrical shell is h.
(See diagram)

Find:
A) Pressure distribution
B) Radial flow velocity
C) Mass flowrate

(Hint: For the flow of a steady state incompressible fluid through porous media, the equations of continuity in the cylindrical coordinates (r,Θ,z) are expressed by d/dr(rq) = 0 in which q is the Darcy velocity).
 
Attachments
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    6.6 KB · Views: 716
Physics news on Phys.org
You should also be warned for no effort. Please write down Darcy's law in cylindrical coordinates for a purely radial flow.