Understanding Safety Precautions for Charged Metallic Spheres

In summary, a large metallic sphere insulated from ground can be safely charged with an electrostatic generator while a person stands on an insulating stool holding the sphere. This is due to the insulator preventing the current from flowing. However, it is not safe for another person to touch the sphere after it has been charged because their body acts as a conductor, allowing the current to flow and potentially causing harm. It is important to be cautious when handling charged objects to avoid any accidents or injuries.
Blackice

Homework Statement

13) A large metallic sphere insulated from ground is charged
with an electrostatic generator while a student standing on
an insulating stool holds the sphere. Why is it safe to do
this? Why would it not be safe for another person to touch
the sphere after it had been charged?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the insolater will stop the current to flow for the first part of the question, but why if the person touches the sphere after charching is not safe??
is it because the body acts as a conductor? so the current will flow??

Please help as fast as possible

regards, Blackice

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Blackice said:
I know that the insolater will stop the current to flow for the first part of the question, but why if the person touches the sphere after charching is not safe??
is it because the body acts as a conductor? so the current will flow??
Sounds about right to me :approve:

thank u so much mr.Hootenanny :)

If it's right, thank god
but i want a scientific answer, and why exactly it's not safe !

sorry for my bad spellings, because i wrote very fast and my mother language is not english :)

correction ..

insolater == insolator
charging == charging

where is everybody .:*_*:. !

this is the first time i join physics forums

Blackice said:
where is everybody .:*_*:. !

this is the first time i join physics forums
Please be patient, you must realize that everyone is here voulterily and have other commitments besides Physics Forums.
Blackice said:
thank u so much mr.Hootenanny :)

If it's right, thank god
but i want a scientific answer, and why exactly it's not safe !

sorry for my bad spellings, because i wrote very fast and my mother language is not english :)

correction ..

insolater == insolator
charging == charging
That's about as scientific as it gets.

k. I'll be waiting, but i can't wait for a long time because i want to submit the paper after tomorrow !

Blackice said:
k. I'll be waiting, but i can't wait for a long time because i want to submit the paper after tomorrow !
I've already answered your query:
Hootenanny said:
That's about as scientific as it gets.

thanks Hootenanny :)

I submitted my paper and my doctor was happy :)

you really helped me .. thanx

Related to Understanding Safety Precautions for Charged Metallic Spheres

What is a conductor homework problem?

A conductor homework problem is a physics problem that involves the study of electrical conductivity and the behavior of charges in a conductor.

What are some common types of conductor homework problems?

Some common types of conductor homework problems include calculating the resistance and capacitance of a conductor, determining the current and voltage in a circuit, and analyzing the behavior of charges in different types of conductors.

What concepts are important to understand for solving conductor homework problems?

Some important concepts to understand for solving conductor homework problems include Ohm's law, Kirchhoff's laws, and the properties of different types of conductors such as resistors, capacitors, and wires.

How can I improve my problem-solving skills for conductor homework problems?

To improve your problem-solving skills for conductor homework problems, it is important to practice regularly, understand the fundamental concepts, and seek help from your teacher or peers when needed. You can also review past assignments and tests to identify areas where you can improve.

What resources are available for solving conductor homework problems?

There are many resources available for solving conductor homework problems, such as textbooks, online tutorials, and problem-solving websites. Your teacher or professor may also provide study materials and practice problems to help you better understand and solve conductor homework problems.