Understanding Scientific Output

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of calculators and the notation of numbers in scientific notation using "e" to represent exponent or times ten to the power of. This is commonly used in calculators and is shortened to XeY, meaning X times ten to the power of Y. The conversation also clarifies that "e" can also refer to the base of the natural logarithm (2.71828) and may be used in different contexts.
surajkaul
I've been using a calculator and did end up with the answer in the form of 5.34588e-012 or something like that.
I was learning Matlabs where I did
sin(pi)=1.2246e-016

I'm not into how did sin(pi) go equal to 1.2246e-016 but what does 1.2246e-016 mean ?

I googled it and someplace it wrote
1e1=10
3e3=3000

Does this mean e3=10^3, 3e3=3*10^3 ?

Engineering news on Phys.org
You're spot on. In this scenario (as with many calculators) e simply means 'exponent' or 'times ten to the power of'. It's often shortened (as in Excel) to just XeY meaning 'X times ten to the power of Y'

1.2246e-016 means 1.2246x10^-16
Sure saves writing out 0.00000000000000012246 :)Don't be mixed up with e being the base of the natural logarithm (2.71828, it's an irrational constant, like Pi). I don't know what level of maths you're at, so if you haven't heard of e being used in this context, it's probably not something you need to worry about. If you know all about it already, ignore this.

Last edited:
Yes I've the idea of ln and log along with exponential e^x or 10^x. So at first I too thought XeY= X*e^Y rather than X*10^Y.
But I guess it's all clear now :)
Thanks Mate

1. What is scientific output?

Scientific output refers to the results and findings of scientific research, experiments, and studies that have been published in scientific journals or presented at conferences.

2. What is the purpose of understanding scientific output?

The purpose of understanding scientific output is to gain knowledge and insight into a particular topic or field of study, and to stay informed about the latest developments and advancements in science.

3. How do scientists communicate their output?

Scientists communicate their output through various mediums such as scientific journals, conferences, presentations, and online platforms. They use specialized language and follow a specific format to clearly convey their findings to other scientists and the general public.

4. How can I evaluate the quality of scientific output?

The quality of scientific output can be evaluated by considering factors such as the reputation and credibility of the journal or conference it was published in, the methodology and data used, and the peer-review process. It is also important to consider the expertise and qualifications of the scientists involved in the research.

5. Why is it important to critically analyze scientific output?

Critically analyzing scientific output helps to identify any potential biases or flaws in the research, and to determine the reliability and validity of the findings. This is crucial in order to make informed decisions and draw accurate conclusions based on scientific evidence.